• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eli Whitney Musket model1812 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It definitely is a beautiful firearm and an amazing piece of history.
I’m going to try and confirm it has been shortened.
But if I can get it for a reasonable price I’m going to.

Would the front sight be incorporated into the front barrel band ?

Attachments

• IMG_5809.jpeg
    IMG_5809.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Would the front sight be incorporated into the front barrel band ?
Yes, that's the sight on the front barrel band, there is no rear sight. At this point in American History, weapons weren't made of fully interchangeable parts, meaning a replacement front barrel band may not just drop right in. There is an 1816 musket for sale here on the forum still in it's original flintlock configuration. Here's the link: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/a-nice-m-t-wickham-contract-m1816.169842/

Last edited:
Went back to the pawnshop today.
Barrel is 32” , overall 47”. Unfortunately and obviously
Bayonet lug is missing .
A front sight was soldered on the barrel band.
Still waiting on owner to place a price on it.

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
  • IMG_5816.jpeg
    IMG_5816.jpeg
  • IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5814.jpeg
    IMG_5814.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I wouldn't pay more than $400 if you really want it. It's probably shootable, and a nice old piece. But in it's altered condition, its lost alot of its value.

Yes, that's the sight on the front barrel band, there is no rear sight. At this point in American History, weapons weren't made of fully interchangeable parts, meaning a replacement front barrel band may not just drop right in. There is an 1816 musket for sale here on the forum still in its original flintlock configuration. Here's the link: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/a-nice-m-t-wickham-contract-m1816.169842/

General Grant,
Beautiful firearm,
Would be great to take to the range.
Unfortunately out of my price range.

Obviously cut down, but by whom?
Early CW a lot of those were cut down for cavalry use by CS.
After the war, some were cut down to sell as cheap shotguns to poor folks.
Still, it has it has history all its own.

Went back to the pawnshop today.
Barrel is 32” , overall 47”. Unfortunately and obviously
Bayonet lug is missing .
A front sight was soldered on the barrel band.
Still waiting on owner to place a price on it.
Be sure to point out all the negatives to him. Just like he would do if you brought it into the shop to sell him. There are people that can do/help with restoring nice older guns.

Be sure to point out all the negatives to him. Just like he would do if you brought it into the shop to sell him. There are people that can do/help with restoring nice older guns.
I’m still waiting to hear back from the owner.
He doesn’t seem like he’s in any hurry.
I don’t want to go keep calling and seem like I’m too interested.
Even though I am ! Lol

I’m still waiting to hear back from the owner.
He doesn’t seem like he’s in any hurry.
I don’t want to go keep calling and seem like I’m too interested.
Even though I am ! Lol
I empathise with your impatience. If you're not a collector, then I'd say you've been gifted with quite a discovery. Muzzleloaders in my area (south-central Arizona) apparently are nonexistent & such an item for sale would be highly unusual. Despite the alterations diminishing its potential value, I'd remove any rust that may exist & preserve it as a wall hanger. I hope you enjoy owning a piece of history. I've come across old flintlock & percussions — even a so-called "China wall cannon" — & I was hit with the same reactive thoughts each time: where has it been? What events, incidents or none-of-the-above has it seen? If such old weapons could talk, eh? Best of luck in acquiring the old conversion. My guess is the shop owner isn't "into" such antiques but will sell if given the opportunity. He's aware of at least one patron who's interested enough to take photos of it. Perhaps you've been the only person who has shown true potential for a sale, & as you said, he's in no hurry to apply a price. The psychology behind making a possible buyer wait could be his technique. Wait him out. He's in business to turn a profit; he'll eventually sxxx or get off the pot.

Yea, interesting situation, it is a really nice piece of American and firearm history.
As much as I'd like to own it, I'm going to try and wait him out. and see how it goes.
The crazy thing is the store is loaded with mostly Ar15's and other modern guns,
This one stands out on the rack like a sore thumb!
When I asked the guy to take a look he asked me how to open the chamber to confirm its not loaded!
I told him you really couldn't determine that, the only way would be to insert the ram rod and if it goes all the way in flush with the barrel than it might be unloaded, but beaing cutdown who knows?
He looked at me like i had two heads and said, how do you know so much about this old gun.
I told him I'm an google expert! Lol
funny as hell !

Back