• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eli Whitney Musket model1812 ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, interesting situation, it is a really nice piece of American and firearm history.
As much as I'd like to own it, I'm going to try and wait him out. and see how it goes.
The crazy thing is the store is loaded with mostly Ar15's and other modern guns,
This one stands out on the rack like a sore thumb!
When I asked the guy to take a look he asked me how to open the chamber to confirm its not loaded!
I told him you really couldn't determine that, the only way would be to insert the ram rod and if it goes all the way in flush with the barrel than it might be unloaded, but beaing cutdown who knows?
He looked at me like i had two heads and said, how do you know so much about this old gun.
I told him I'm an google expert! Lol
funny as hell !
You actually can confirm if it's unloaded, drop the ramrod down the barrel. If the ramrod bounces up with a pinging sound it's unloaded.

Yea, interesting situation, it is a really nice piece of American and firearm history.
As much as I'd like to own it, I'm going to try and wait him out. and see how it goes.
The crazy thing is the store is loaded with mostly Ar15's and other modern guns,
This one stands out on the rack like a sore thumb!
When I asked the guy to take a look he asked me how to open the chamber to confirm its not loaded!
I told him you really couldn't determine that, the only way would be to insert the ram rod and if it goes all the way in flush with the barrel than it might be unloaded, but beaing cutdown who knows?
He looked at me like i had two heads and said, how do you know so much about this old gun.
I told him I'm an google expert! Lol
funny as hell !
"Google expert" — good one! Since the old weapon has a steel ramrod, you could ascertain whether or not it's loaded by vertically standing the musket on its buttplate & inserting the ramrod 8-10 inches, then letting it drop against the breech plug. It should give a metal-on-metal clang. If it doesn't, it could have an old charge in there . . . or it could just have decades of dust & crud. Anyway, it's a suggestion.

Yep, he apparently knows little of muzzleloaders. Why shoot, Tony! You could just open the chamber . . . ! He may never arrive at a workable price. Checking on this forum is a good way to at least obtain a ballpark value. You could then determine what you want to pay for it & make a serious offer. It pays to be a Google expert, doesn't it?

The fact that he knows little about these guns tells me that he didn't pay much for it. I've been to several shows where there was a table full of modern guns and one old muzzleloader that he was selling for someone else. Twice I have made real deals under these circumstances. Make him a low ball offer and see what happens.

The fact that he knows little about these guns tells me that he didn't pay much for it. I've been to several shows where there was a table full of modern guns and one old muzzleloader that he was selling for someone else. Twice I have made real deals under these circumstances. Make him a low ball offer and see what happens.
I agree. His reaction might reveal no one else has been interested. I hope it becomes another "real deal" for you. Off-chance occurrences like that are sweet indeed!

So I’m leaving my daughters in Virginia to fly back to Florida tomorrow morning.
I went to the pawnshop this morning to see if the store owner had posted a price on the Whitney musket.
Still no price on the tag, I ask if the owner is available and I’m told they can call him.
They get him in the phone and he says to make an offer.
I tell him the musket has been cut down and it’s missing the front barrel band and the bayonet lug.
I offer $750.
He tells me he wants $4000!
I’m kinda speechless , I don’t know whether to laugh or what ?
I started to say something then caught myself and said , ok well I guess that settles that.
The clerk gets off the phone and comes over and quietly that the musket will be probably be there forever .
Who the hell knows what that guy is thinking?
So I’m still on the hunt !
Thanks to everyone who commented or gave input !
Happy Labor Day weekend!!

Last edited:
So I’m leaving my daughters in Virginia to fly back to Florida tomorrow morning.
I went to the pawnshop this morning to see if the store owner had posted a price on the Whitney musket.
Still no price on the tag, I ask if the owner is available and I’m told they can call him.
I tell him the musket has been cut down and it’s missing the front barrel band and the bayonet lug.
I offer $750.
I kinda speechless , I don’t know whether to laugh what ?
I started to say something then caught myself and said , ok well I guess that settles that.
The clerk gets of the phone and comes over and quietly that the musket will be probably be there forever .
Wow, yea that guy had no clue what he's talking about. Plenty of nicer 1816s that are full length on Gunbroker for a much better price, I would check there if you really want one.

It was a $400 dollar gun at best. He did you a favor. Watch the online auctions. Converted M1816's and such come up all the time. You'll be able to find one that is unaltered for what you offered or a little more.

I offer $750.
The clerk gets off the phone and comes over and quietly that the musket will be probably be there forever .
I'd need to have personally inspected the musket, but based on what I've read, I'd have offered him $250 (with a ceiling of $300). I realise that's probably low. IF I was interested in purchasing tho & based on the alterations we know have been done (including the missing barrel band), I'd view the musket as a cool piece of history that's probably been thru many owners & even more shooters. It's travelled a rough road, & I'd willingly put it to rest for $250.

The present owner is apparently willing to wait what probably will be a very long time until someone with bulging pockets & "lollipop" written on his forehead comes along. I'd sign off by thanking him for his time & info & that would essentially be that. So glad you weren't taken for a ride along a bumpy road. Safe flight to the Sunshine State!

I offer $750.
He's 'full of it', as they say...let it go and get on with life!!:)

Back