• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Fever

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hall

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Elk fever= buck fever on steroids.

I just got back from an elk hunt with my dughter, Kimberly. She drew a late cow tag by herself, so the hunt was for her only. She is 20 years old, and this was her first hunt of any kind.

All in all, she did pretty well for her first hunt. I coached her on being quiet, how to step, how to look from side to side, no fast jerky movements, etc. She was a fast learner, but there is no way a new hunter can be coached on controlling the excitement of drawing down on a huge elk. Just something you have to go through before you can control it.

Saturday afternoon found us sneaking up a wide canyon, where I knew the elk crossed in the morning and evening. I looked to our right and saw the biggest, fattest mama cow I've ever seen, standing a mere 40 yards away. Almost perfect broadside shot! Before I said anything, I studied her head to make sure she was legal, then I whispered, "There she is, shoot her, shoot her, shoot her"! Kimberly couldn't see her, so I turned her body toward the elk and just kept telling her to "shoot her". I realized there were some branches that may be in the way, so I pulled Kimberly back until the branches weren't in the picture. Kimberly still couldn't see her, so I pointed, and the gasp that came from my daughter told me she had finally seen the cow. I told her, "Put the sights right where I told you, pick a spot, take your time". Suddenly, Kimberly's breathing became very eratic, like the sound of a girl in a horror movie hiding behind a door, just before a knife comes through by her head. From the corner of my eye, I could see the muzzle of her little .54 bobbing up and down. I thought, "Oh man, buck fever, and there's nothing I can say to her to calm her down, just have to let it play out". The seconds ticked away, and the bouncy barrel and strained breathing didn't get any better. Finally, about 15 seconds later, BOOM, but I could tell by the sound, and the way the cow calmly trotted away, that it was a complete miss. Like most new hunters, she over-shot the elk. There was a second smaller cow that followed the bigger elk, which is the norm. Kimberly was too shakey to reload by herself, so I had to assist. The first time a hunter is confronted with the shear size of an adult elk can be quite overwhelming, hence the term "Elk Fever".

We tracked the elk just to make sure there was no hit. Followed them for a couple hundred yards. The tracks went through occasional patches of snow, which told us there wasn't the slightest sign of blood.

Later that night, Kimberly told me, "Dad, it just all happened so fast, and I couldn't get my breathing under control". She is still beating herself up for missing the easy shot, so I'm doing my best to explain that this is pretty normal for new hunters. I suspect she will re-live that moment for the next year, which is also pretty normal.

We saw lots of elk, and had some close calls during the rest of the hunt, but just couldn't make the shot. Got snowed out on Monday, as I only had a two-wheel drive truck that doesn't like the snow. But, this is going to be one of my favorite elk hunts, me and my youngest daughter sneaking through the frozen woods together, and seeing lots of elk. :thumbsup: Bill

Thanks for sharing, it is not always the killing that makes a good hunt. Next time if your daughter connects, she will feel like she has gotten to be a better hunter and the reward will be worth the wait and effort. You are a blessed father to have such a wonderful daughter that can share the hunting experience with!!! Better luck next time--Leebone

Bill,
That is a neat story!
My best buddy and I have been chasing critters for the last 35+ years. Couple of years ago I was calling coyotes and he was doing the gunning. I called in a family group of four 'yotes. Steve absolutely lost it - started to shake - couldn't get the safety off - couldn't find the coyotes in the scope. He finally shot the hill a half mile behind the'yotes. I've seen him make some remarkable shots in a pressure filled situation. But he froze up -- on coyotes...???
I was glad we weren't facing down a charging bear.

I suppose we could blame it on the "Swampy's Huntin' Lube" she was using. Ya, that's it. Bill

She will never forget that hunt! :haha:

In the future it will probably be a big laugh around the campfire.

All that excitement is the mark of a through and through true hunter, IMO.

You're a lucky man. While my daughters seemed to have interest as small young-uns that still couldn't go due to age, they ended up not taking up the sport. I'm working on my 6-yr-old grandson now!!!

As a friend of mine told his son upon missing his first shot, "Son, EVERYBODY misses their first one!" :grin:

A little percussion .54 that is actually her sister's. Good little starter rifle, and she was using patched round balls.

She never showed much interest in hunting and shooting when she was growing up, but she is definitely hooked now. And when she's target shooting, that kid is DEADLY, but that's because there's no such thing as "target fever". :rotf: I sure love that kid. Bill

snowdragon said:
A little percussion .54 that is actually her sister's. Good little starter rifle, and she was using patched round balls.

She never showed much interest in hunting and shooting when she was growing up, but she is definitely hooked now. And when she's target shooting, that kid is DEADLY, but that's because there's no such thing as "target fever". :rotf: I sure love that kid. Bill

...and I am sure she does you! Great story!

Snow

Tell her not to worry. Elk have a way of inspiring emotion. I know a very experienced hunter who calmly killed a book ram (maybe his 30th or 50th big game animal) one day and then with in 24 hours lost it on an easy bull and ended up putting 7 338 slugs in it. Elk just have a way of rattling you.

The only cure for Elk fever is to decide not to shoot and watch where they go with out spooking them. If you wear a brimmed hat and travel on your hands and knees you can pretty much follow them all day.

snowdragon said:

Bill... This just says it all...Your love of the sport ..hunting and family.....Amen brother!

Back