• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Going to be hunting elk in eastern wa. This year in the taneway unit. Taking my .50 hawken. Wonering if a 250 real bullet would have enough punch to take elk?p Told most shots in that area are around 50 to 80 yards. Or should I cast up some 370 maxi balls .50 cal both shoot good with 70-80 grains of FFg or mz. Or take my .75 cal musket? Oh and its a spike bull only hunt

Well, I know that country really well - I killed elk in that area with a 54 PRB - would think your real bullet is plenty :hatsoff:

ZEither will work great at that distance, byt heavier is always better if ya catch a shoulder.

I'd try some Hornady Great Plains 385 grain bullets with felt wad under the bullet. The great plains bullets have always done well in my TC Hawken 50 or 54 cal rifles. In my 50 I use 90 grains of Triple Seven 2F. This is the most accurate powder in that rifle. Some of my other rifles like Goex.

I mostlhy hunted elk here in western wa. With a .54 cva hawken with .90 grns. Of rs. And a 380 grn real. Farthest shot was 50 steps. But gave that gun away now have a 50 because it beat me up and I have a bad back hurt to shoot any more. Just hoping 70 grns of FFg and a 250 real or a 370 grn. Maxi will be enough.

My .50 cal. TC Hawken has shot a few elk using a 410gr Buffalo Bullet ahead of 100 grs 2f and has never lost a wounded elk.

Seeing BBs are no longer made, I'd go w/ a heavier Hornady conical......Fred

Latest posts

Back