• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Grace

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My wife and I are trying for Colorado elk tags next year. what would be a good load and range for my wife's 50 prb? Or should I let her shoot a maxi? I'll be shootin a 54 gpr prb. I'm tempted to take my 50 gpr flinter, be great to shoot an elk with a flinter wish I had a 54 flinter but money is little tight trying to save up for the trip. Also a load and range on the 54 wouldn't hurt. Thanks for all the advice.

me personally, i'd use the maxiball or other conical in the 50cal. I only like a 54cal + for elk and other big critters. One reason i built my 58, big holes, big charges.

I have never done it, but there are a number of old posts here in the hunting forums of guys who have.
Just start digging into the old threads, there is a world of information in here.

If I was to shoot an Elk, I'd want as big a gun I could handle. A .54 would be the smallest gun I'd want to do it with. However there are pictures of Elk taken with .50 conicals right in these forums, so I do know that a .50 conical can do the job.

I don't recall the details (and in fact don't know for sure it's still the case), but at one time CO limited the length and type of conicals relative to bore diameter. I'm prepared to be wrong on all that, but better to know for sure before you start working up loads for your trip.

As for RB's in a 50? I've seen it done, but all shots were inside 50 yards and well placed. The 54 cal (90 grains of 2f) killed quicker in several instances, but the ranges were held to 50 yards also. Just the ways of the folks squeezing the triggers and not a "requirement."

I'd go with a Hornady great plains bullet with an ox-yoke felt wad over powder and a heavy charge of powder. Use the heaviest load your gun will shoot well! With a 50 cal I'd go with 90 to 100 grains and with a 54 100-120. If you pad up your shoulder well you won't have a problem sighting the rifle in. This is a hunting load, not your target load. The harder the bullet loads the better. If it loads easy it won't shoot well.

The elk load in my .50 cal. TC Hawken is a 410 gr. Buffalo Bullet ahead of 100 grs 2f. This rifle and load has killed 5 elk.

My .54 Hawken's load is a .535 RB, .020 patch ahead of 120 grs 3f and this rifle and load has killed 3 elk....the last one at a paced off 107 yds.

None of the elk hit w/ either rifle traveled very far after the hit.....Fred

BrownBear said:
co_elkeater said:
The 2013 big game catalogue page 12 shows none.

Thanks for the update. Long as you have the book open, it's still all-lead right?

no they got rid of that stupid law as well. They also got rid of that bullet length bs as well.

No mention of lead or copper or any element. Sabots are prohibited and of coarse they make it clear cloth patches are not sabots.

Sabots are for french frogs. Come on September!

Based on both the broadside and lengthwise penetration I have gotten on deer and hogs, I would say that 80-90+ grs of FFFg in your .54 GPR will handle an elk no problem out to at least 75yds. This is based on penetrating deer and hogs lengthwise and either stopping on the skin on the offside or passing through lengthwise, and some of these hogs were 275-300lbs, a couple slightly bigger, most smaller and in the 175-225# range.

I prefer a .54 for elk but plenty of guys kill elk easily with a .50 prb!

I used to load 120 grains and a prb in my GPR, but have been coming down more and more. My hunting partners have done well on elk with .54 prb and 80 grains of ff or fff.

Would not worry too much about the load. Concentrate on getting your aerobic ability and stamina up. Practice shooting in field positions and establish your max practical range. Try shooting when a bit out of breath! Learn to cow call correctly (most guys cow call too quick and sharp. That's getting close to a warning call). Learn how to bone out an animal on the ground (you can practice on deer, only diff is the size). As a general rule, you should get at least a mile away from the nearest vehicle access.

Lots of other things to consider too. You will get a lot of good advice here.

Being the veteran of many CO elk expeditions, the best advice I can give a first timer is, Hunt Uphill From The Truck!! As to your question about 50 cal loads, I've killed elk using a 370 grain minie and 75 grains of 3f Goex. At the time CO required a 210 grain minimum which the 50 PRB did not meet. One more point, what you are about to undertake is addictive. I wish I could still do it.

At the time CO required a 210 grain minimum which the 50 PRB did not meet.

You may have misread that. It has been the same for many years. Regs state that for elk, minimum caliber is .50 and minimum projectile weight for .50 is 170 grains. Over .50 cal requires a minimum 210 grain projectile. That applys to elk and moose.

For deer, pronghorn and bear the regs allow .40 to .50 cal, but the projectile still must weigh a minimum of 170 grains.

CO is not known for simplified regs! :haha:

Let me be up front about living in the land of 100 pound deer. That being said I have shot my 50 GPR wit 495 balls and 110 grains of 2f. It will stay on a 12 inch steel gong at 115 yards as long as I do my part it will cluster them in the center. I have shot this load enough to know that a rib cage hit will end a elks life in short order. With any PRB smaller than 58 I would avoid the shoulder area.

I would keep my shots under 100 yards and less if I were unable to get a steady hold. Good luck Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back