• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

elk load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The change in elevation and the calling is what worries me the, I process all my own deer so pretty good there. I hunt public land exclusively and have learned the value of getting away from people. Got a lot to learn about elk and making sure I'm in physical shape and practice some long shots. Thanks for all the good advice I hope to learn a lot more from ya'll!

i use 90gr ffg in my grate plain caplock, and 85 fffg in my flint tennesseee. works like a charm, either load, up to 110 yards, but you have to hit them where they need to be hit.

Unless you're hunting in the rut, I wouldn't worry too much about calling, especially bugling. Cow calls can help settle down a spooked herd, but I usually don't use them until after a I am busted. Once in a while you can call a cow in with a cow call, but I never have. A few of my friends have though. But I have brought in young bulls by cow-calling, but only during the rut. If I could only carry one call, I would choose a cow call.

Around here, the rut is from about mid September to early October. Good luck. Bill

I agree. When first hunting elk years ago w/ the MLer, bugling brought in some nice bulls...no longer the case in the area we hunt.

I carry 3 cow calls of differing tones...works quite well depending on whether the rut is in progress and also what stage the rut is in. Both cows and bulls have come in to the cow calls, but be in cover....standing in the middle of a clearing and calling won't fool them. They're not that dumb and in fact have circled and got wind of me even though I was in cover.

The last elk I shot was a lead cow of a large herd that came into a cow call and the herd ended up 40 yds from me. This cow immediately got suspicious when she didn'nt see any other elk and started to look for an "exit". Shot her through the ribs and saw her go down.

Slightly afterwards, my nephew missed the large 6X6 bull at 40 yds using one of the "unmentionables" that was purchased the week before. After his shot, another cow came into view in nearly the same spot as the previous cow and seeing I had reloaded, held the post on her ribs....then, the thought struck me....if I pulled the trigger, Gary w/ the only other cow tag would no longer be able to hunt. Didn't shoot and besides, "party hunting" for elk in Colorado is illegal.

Our camp is at 10,200 feet and when first arriving, just setting up camp is a chore....but after a couple of days, climbing up to 11,000 ft every morning isn't difficult at all because everyone was in excellent condition......Fred

Back to the elk load question - I am wondering if a 50 cal shooting a .480 prb with 110 grs of black powder will carry enough energy/oomph with a well placed shot to reliably bring down an elk out to about 75 yds?

Under ideal conditions and shot placement, a .50 PRB could do the job, but....after many years of elk hunting, would prefer a heavy conical in the .50. My choice would be the 410 gr. Buffalo Bullet ahead of 100 grs 2f....this load has taken 5 elk in our Colorado hunts......Fred

look at it like this, whats going to cause more damage-penetration... A honda civic doing 200mph or a semi doing only 73mph?

Save the .490" round ball for deer size game and take a step up to a conical in the 350 grain range.

My gun has a 1 in 72 twist - not good for conical. Also since my 50 is a only nominal 50 cal - it is actually a 49 caliber .495 bore there are few conicals that fit it and I never liked them anyway

What I find interesting is that fur trade companies were buying guns in the 1820s that were basically 47-50 calibers and by that time they well knew what they were gonna be up against out there - grizzly, elk, buffalo, etc. Did they know something we don't? :idunno:

Were they also providing the lead and powder? If so, ten I would say it was just another purely financial decision made by bean counters as opposed to the people who were doing the job itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many big game animals can be killed w/ minimal loads and calibers...even an elk using a .36, but this would require above average skills of both stalking and shooting and also ideal conditions. Many times if not most of the time, one or more of these critria are not present. Some hunters go elk hunting w/o knowledge or preparation and really do need a large bore rifle. At any rate, why be "under gunned" when hunting large game...a larger bore rifle is easy to get.

A .50 PRB load is insufficient for elk for most hunters.

Most CF deer hunters are "over gunned" and very few are "undergunned", so why is it that some MLing hunters "stretch" things by using a minimal caliber?.....Fred

With my wife's frame a .50 is about all she is going to be able to handle and the prb is a lot more forgiving on the butt end than a maxiball, but I know it can be very effective in the right situation. That's part of the fun that we have over other people is the challenge of making it the right situation and having the ethics to pass when it is not. In my opinion being over gunned is the perfect temptation to be under equipped as a hunter. Letting a gun do for you what your not willing to do for yourself, that's the difference to me in a hunter and a shooter. IMOP

smokepole32 said:
With my wife's frame a .50 is about all she is going to be able to handle and the prb is a lot more forgiving on the butt end than a maxiball, but I know it can be very effective in the right situation. That's part of the fun that we have over other people is the challenge of making it the right situation and having the ethics to pass when it is not. In my opinion being over gunned is the perfect temptation to be under equipped as a hunter. Letting a gun do for you what your not willing to do for yourself, that's the difference to me in a hunter and a shooter. IMOP

Amen to that brother....being a bowhunter for many years makes muzzleloading an easier chore for me....and this is one chore I relish! :v Count your blessings as well...a wife to hunt and share the great outdoors with is a great gift! :grin:

Yeah I've been really blessed with having the wife I got, truly don't deserve her but as long as she'll keep putting up with me I reckon I'll keep her! :wink: I really hope we can pull this elk hunt off for next year were both really excited.

These mountains are steep, Bama, be in the best shape you can. Then it still might not be enough. Get there at least three days ahead to aclimate yourself to the altitude, and good luck!!

And Water, Water, Water.

I moved out here from Michigan, and it took me quite some time to get accustomed to the dryness and thin air here.

Something to prepare for.

I've had altitude sickness, it can be very dangerous...not to scare you off, just letting you know it's real! Get there as early as possible, don't over exert yourselves early on, drink lots of water, take some antihistimean pills, and migraine headache pills with ye and you'll be fine! :v

Latest posts

Back