• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mnbearbaiter said:
Elk too can run over mountain after mountain with only one lung so max penetration would be desired as would an exit wound especially since elk dont bleed well. I believe i got the answer i wanted(and expected), more powder for more punch/penetration/killing efficiency/trajectory, as long as all these variables result in accuracy :stir: So that we are all on the same page...weve decided on at least 90gr bp with a 54 prb for elk?

I know Ive told the story adnauseum but I shoot a .54 with 90 grains of FFg and a .015 patch with a .535 ball. I have killed buffalo with that and would feel quite comfortable shooting elk to 100 yards with it.
It is a GREAT hunting load!!!

Time to split the differance.. I like it JUST out the other side TWO holes makes for better blood trailing but granted energy spent outside the far side of a critter might be looked at as wasted energy (depending on distance, game size, etc)[/quote]

:thumbsup:

Back