• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Pictures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Stella

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got on the forum yesterday. Thanks for the warm welcome. I leave for my first traditional muzzleloader hunt in two days. It is going to be an elk hunt. Just to get me even more excited (if that is possible) do any of you have pictures of elk you have killed?

Nope, we didn't take pictures back in the day, and mine were all with cf's.
Scan_Pic0001-6.jpg

Opps! I found this one in Phototbucket. Shot with a Cabela's .54 Hawken, 100 grs. of pyrodex, Hornady Great Plains bullet at about 70 yards. Took two rounds to put him down.
Scan_Pic0001-26.jpg

Here's another, same gun and load, at about 110 yards across a meadow. He went about 25 yards and dropped.

Thanks that is cool. You used the same load I am goint to use. .54 Lyman Great Plains Hunter with Hornady Great Plains Bullets and 105 grns of Pyrodex Select.

If I hadn't been so ignorant, I would have used black powder. But I didn't know anything, and now I know just a tiny bit more. Pyrodex is filthy, and is hard to clean, and stinks.

LOL - I may switch. No sure yet. I only had 2 months to get the gun and develope a load. Had very little time to try different loads.

If you can get real black powder do so.
:)

That pyrodex smells like satans hindquarters when it is rifle cleaning time.
(coming from the girl who has been using pyrodex just to get rid of the stuff)

Good luck on your hunt and you best post pics!

Sending good luck wishes for your hunt.

This is an off year for me and elk. Hoping to see some good sories from my fellow muzzleloaders.

IMG_0104.jpg

This is one from about 370 days ago.

Colorado022.jpg

and one from 09.

Have fun. Take pictures!

Greg

Here is a bull I took two years ago during a General Rifle hunt!

2010Bull.jpg

Welcom aboard!!! You won't find a nicer bunch of folks to talk to and listen to!! Lots of knowledgable folks here!!

Good luck and Shoot Strait!!

Thanks for the great pics and nice welcome. My wife and I leave first thing tomorrow morning. It is not a great picture but here is a couple of elk we saw while scouting the area we are going to hunt. It is a still off a video I took.
2012-07-07_19-34-30_726.jpg

Back