• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Season II

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsday

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Didn't want to hi-jack another thread. So here's my update on an elk hunt. Northern Colorado.

We hunted our arses off for 6-1/2 days. Had a great time. Had one close encounter with a group of cows.

No bugling to speak of. Finally heard one go off on our last evening. Way below us. Couldn't get down there before dark. Woke up the next morning early to get close before daylight. Raining! Went in anyway. Dead silence.

Hiked ourselves silly. Camp was high. Elk were low. a long hike home in the dark each night.

My partner had a buck tag for deer so of course I was like a deer magnet. Saw 7 muley buck in my first 3 days. 2 nice 4 x 4's. My partner never did see a good buck.

Hunted til noon Friday. Got packed out. drove 27 hours home straight through.

3 things I realized.

1. no matter how good your pack is - Get a better one.
2. a gill of whiskey is a fine thing after the long hike to camp.
3. I love elk hunting!

Let's see some more photos!

Greg

Back