• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraving chisel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can buy a Crocker sharpening guide on Ebay for $28.00, and there are other types available at reasonable prices. The Crocker worked well enough for me. McKenzie's videos are great and very beneficial to beginners.

Steve Lindsay's sharpening templates are the best and easiest to use - my opinion. I had the Crocker tool but sold it - too finicky for me.

Hi Guys,
I am not writing that endorsement for Lindsay's sharpening system lightly. I do a lot of engraving in many different historical styles and I suggest all of you budding engravers, forget the fancy power hones, the Crocker jig, and any other system and just look at the Lindsay templates. They are head and shoulders above everything else and they are so easy, convenient and foolproof to use that you will sharpen as often as you should, and they take all the guess work out of the sharpening angles required. I use the Lindsay system for all of my gravers but still use the Lynton McKenzie method for my die sinkers chisels because they don't fit into the Lindsay chuck for sharpening. I experienced all of the systems mentioned and pass on my opinion based on a lot of experience. Here are examples so you know I am not talking through my hat.
QSFsKSR.jpg

fo4BUvw.jpg

VYtjE7J.jpg

dave

Last edited:
Back