• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

enough spark?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, i looked the thing over this morning and now it's not producing any sparks...
I am going to try a new piece of flint tonight.

A little trick I learned from experimenting is make sure no oil of any kind in on the frizzen or flint edge.
Wipe it off with some alcohol and try it again.
I found that if I wiped a tiny bit of facial oil from the corner of my nose onto the flint edge and frizzen it significantly reduced the spark production.
Fouling left on either can have the same effect especially if damp fouling.

You probably just recieved half a life time of knowledge thrown at ya , where else could you go but here?? Try one thing at a time until you find the culprit. I carry a little bottle of Mtn Dew ( no not the soft drink) for cleaning the frizzen, flash hole and pan before loading old Lizabeth. It also doubles as snakebit medicine and cures many ailments known to man.

M.D. said:
A little trick I learned from experimenting is make sure no oil of any kind in on the frizzen or flint edge.
Wipe it off with some alcohol and try it again.
I found that if I wiped a tiny bit of facial oil from the corner of my nose onto the flint edge and frizzen it significantly reduced the spark production.
Fouling left on either can have the same effect especially if damp fouling.

Very good advice, you'd be very surprised at what a little oil will do! I too always wipe the flint and frizzen before firing. Your flints edge accumulates residual BP crud after several shots and certainly needs quick attention.

After a days shoot though I always thoroughly oil the frizzen and utilize a stall as well. A rusty frizzen is a :nono:

Yet, if rust pays your frizzen a visit that's easily remedied with 0000 steel wool, polish the face and your good to go. Just remember, this is one part of the rifle you want no wax or oil when firing.

Did two things.

1) test fired in the dark
2) wiped the frizzen down to remove any unseen oil.

I did a couple test fires in the dark and didnt see any sparks. Had my wife help me and she was asking "where am i supposed to be looking at?" i had a little chuckle at that and said "its a spark in the dark, cant miss it hun".

But had no luck. So in a fit of annoyance, i dry fired that thing 5 times in a row, and on the 5th firing it produced beautiful sparks!

I then did it 5 more times each one producing sparks!

Thanks for the help gents! I do appreciate it.

Sounds like you had a dull flint and the dry firing chipped away the dull part. Learn how to knap a dull spot on your flint and you should be good to go.

Peter has said what I was thinking. Your flint was dull and the dry firing did some self-knapping of the flint. Don't rely on self-knapping but learn to knap your own flint. You can turn the flint over so you have the bevel up or down. You can also turn the flint around. The back edge may be sharp.

Search the forum for knapping instructions.

Glad you got it sparking.

See! Usually it is indeed something very small and simple. Glad to hear everything is working out for you, now... make some smoke and inhale the smell of burning powder success! :thumbsup:

dewnmoutain said:
Did two things.

1) test fired in the dark
2) wiped the frizzen down to remove any unseen oil.

I did a couple test fires in the dark and didnt see any sparks. Had my wife help me and she was asking "where am i supposed to be looking at?" i had a little chuckle at that and said "its a spark in the dark, cant miss it hun".

But had no luck. So in a fit of annoyance, i dry fired that thing 5 times in a row, and on the 5th firing it produced beautiful sparks!

I then did it 5 more times each one producing sparks!

Thanks for the help gents! I do appreciate it.

so, you didn't have to modify springs
or, bend the hammer
or harden the frizzen

There's a lesson here, friends.

Oops! You missed an important part of what ohio ramrod said in his post. He said "heavy frizzen spring." Lightening a frizzen spring that is too heavy will often improve ignition significantly.

We're here with you Cowboy. You will get all the help you need right here on this forum. As you go along, just ask your questions and we are here to help in any way we can.

I highly recommend finding a muzzleloading club in your area and doing some shooting with them. Those guys will give you direct face to face hands on help and advice.

splitball said:
You probably just recieved half a life time of knowledge thrown at ya , where else could you go but here?? Try one thing at a time until you find the culprit. I carry a little bottle of Mtn Dew ( no not the soft drink) for cleaning the frizzen, flash hole and pan before loading old Lizabeth. It also doubles as snakebit medicine and cures many ailments known to man.

:haha: Knotwater from the land of the Whiskey Rebellion. :thumbsup: I might have some Laurel Mountain Rye somewhere... :wink:

splitball said:
You probably just recieved half a life time of knowledge thrown at ya...

Yep, sometimes when you ask a question on this forum, there is so much knowledge available that you had better be prepared to drink from that firehose. :haha:

I still think he needs to remove that sparky colicky thing and soak it in a 55 Buick hubcap half full molten lead from a Dentist's office, over spruce coals for 48.5 seconds, then cool to room temperature inside a fresh pawn of cornbread made from yellow hominy meal.
That should cure it.

54ball said:
I still think he needs to remove that sparky colicky thing and soak it in a 55 Buick hubcap half full molten lead from a Dentist's office, over spruce coals for 48.5 seconds, then cool to room temperature inside a fresh pawn of cornbread made from yellow hominy meal.
That should cure it.

I think you've got it covered.

:bow: :rotf:

Latest posts

Back