• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ethan Allen Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've got a Ethan Allen Pepperbox, a six barrel six shooter, that I would like to know about when it was made. It came to me in a wood box with 36 caliber balls, wonder wads, wonder patches, nipple wrench, and ram rod. The gun has never been loaded or fired. The bluing on the barrels, hammer, trigger, and trigger guard is deep and beautiful. Also there is a manual of sorts giving loading data. The quality is top drawer. I have read of these been offered in kit form....this one was never a kit gun. I know I've had the gun a number of years, at least long enough not to remember from where it came.

These were made for or by Hoppe's back in 1986-1987.

Dixie Gunworks had them for sale at $96.00 in their 1987 catalog.

Hoppe's also made a side by side double in .36 caliber and a Single Shot Target Pistol in .45 caliber.

These guns are not to be confused with the manure made by Classic Arms.
They are quite well made although they do have some quirks.

The nipple on my .45 caliber Target model is unique. Quite unlike the standard commercial nipples.
The flame hole between the nipple and the bore on the Target is also too small to give reliable ignition.

Your Pepperbox probably doesn't have that problem (the small hole) but a word of caution about shooting pepperboxes.

As Mark Twain reported in one of his stores these guns were known to have multiple discharges if all of the barrels were loaded and capped.
Especially if one of the caps falls off of a loaded barrels nipple when another barrel is fired. :rotf:

I guess I should add, the above assumes it is a newly made gun.

Ethen Allen made pepperboxes back in the late 1830's thru the 1840's and they are fairly valuable now.

I had one of those SxS, had it chromed, beautiful derringer but not the best trigger system. It was not uncommon for both barrels to fire off at the same time. I would love to get another but the few I have seen in the past couple of years end up going for greater prices than I care to pay.

Just as soon as I get a couple of things squared away I'll take some photos of the Pepperbox and share them here. Being retired doesn't mean unlimitted time to play. ha

Here's a photo of the pepperbox 6 shooter.
airgunbmw446.jpg

Good looking pistol. I used to have one of there double barrels and sure wish I'd of never sold it. :cursing:

I've got to say, that Pepperbox is MUCH nicer than the kit I put together several years ago. I sold the gun right away at a rendezvous. I have an original Allen & Thurber and it sure isn't made like that kit was.

It's strange but I bought a SxS or snakes eye at a antique store. The guy didn't realize that it was intended to be a shooter. He called it a fake gun used for a paper weight. I paid a 20 dollar bill for it. Took it home polished the brass, did a little cleaning of the working parts and oiled it. Made myself a nice little ramrod out of a dowel and wooden knob from a drawer. The bugger shoots just fine. If you look at the Dixie catalog it says they are intended to fire at the same time. Well mine must be a good early production kit. because i can fire them seperatly when both hammers are pulled back, and it makes a nice bang as a blank civil war hideout pistol-- I had to use it a couple of times when those darn yankees got to close for comfort. I replaced those crappy white plastic grips with some nice 1/4" thick oak ones.

Back