• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Euroarms & Parker - Hale nipple sizes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All, does anyone have any idea if the sargeants tool supplied with Parker - Hale rifles will fit the nipple on the Euroarms replica of the Whitworth rifle or is it a different size on the nipple shoulders and thread, just curious as they both take the "top hat" caps, Regards, Broadarrow

The nipples for reproduction arms are a 1/4" square drive in various thread sizes and types. My ArmiSport P53 Enfield uses the same nipple as a pre-1996 Parker-Hale which is a 5/16"-18. The Parker-Hale muskets made after 1996 are supposed to take 5/16"-20 nipples. Be advised, some nipples that size will fit the threads but will not fully seat which depends on how deep the nipple threads are cut in the rifle. After I made an thorough search and purchase of six or seven different 5/16"-18 nipples of different types, the only one that fit and fully seated in my ArmiSport P53 Enfield was a 5/16"-18 Dixie Gun Works NP 1430-steel nipple with a 1/4" square drive.

The supplier where I bought my P53 Enfield said it took a 8MM x 1 nipple but he was wrong. Even the person that defarbed my Enfield said it took a 8MM x 1 nipple and he was also wrong.

My Euroarms Enfield Musketoon takes 5/16"x20 nipples. The PH Enfield I used to have used 5/16"x18. Most, if not all, American rifle-muskets (Springfield, Zouave, etc.) used the 5/16"x24.

1stTexas said:
The nipples for reproduction arms are a 1/4" square drive in various thread sizes and types. My ArmiSport P53 Enfield uses the same nipple as a pre-1996 Parker-Hale which is a 5/16"-18. The Parker-Hale muskets made after 1996 are supposed to take 5/16"-20 nipples. Be advised, some nipples that size will fit the threads but will not fully seat which depends on how deep the nipple threads are cut in the rifle. After I made an thorough search and purchase of six or seven different 5/16"-18 nipples of different types, the only one that fit and fully seated in my ArmiSport P53 Enfield was a 5/16"-18 Dixie Gun Works NP 1430-steel nipple with a 1/4" square drive.

The supplier where I bought my P53 Enfield said it took a 8MM x 1 nipple but he was wrong. Even the person that defarbed my Enfield said it took a 8MM x 1 nipple and he was also wrong.

well acording to armisports site there 1853 takes a 8x1 mm so go figger that one.
bernie :shake: http://www.armisport.com/eng/dettaglioA.asp?idSottoFamiglia=7

Last edited by a moderator:
"
well acording to armisports site there 1853 takes a 8x1 mm so go figger that one."
----------

OK. The 8mm is equal to .315 diameter. That's pretty close to the .3125 diameter that equals 5/16 of an inch.

The 1mm pitch equals .0394 inches which equals 25.4 threads per inch so, they are saying their nipple is a .315-25.4 thread. :grin:

Now I have a headache.

Apparently, it does not matter what the ArmiSport website says because I tried 8X1 nipples in my ArmiSport P53 Enfield and they would not even start in the nipple hole.

I have also tried three 5/16"-18 nipples from different suppliers and they would screw in the nipple hole but would not seat. The DGW NP-1430, 5/16-18 "English nipples" that fit my ArmiSport Enfield perfectly were apparently used with English Parker-Hale Enfield rifle muskets. Those nipples have a .100" neck under the nipple seat whereas the threads of other 5/16"-18 nipples are complete to the nipple seat. The English Parker-Hale rifle muskets often had a steel washer under the nipple seat and the neck (or space) under the nipple seat of the DGW NP-1430 English nipple will accomadate the washer if you choose to use one. You can look at the DGW photo of the their NP1430 nipple and you can see what I mean.

When I questioned the retailer that sold me the ArmiSport Enfield rifle musket about the nipple size, he referred me to Taylors and Co. which apparently are their suppliers. The Taylors and Co. represenative told me it "should" be a 8x1 nipple but it isn't. Go figure.

Back