• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing a walnut stock...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm using a mixture of 1/3 turpentine, 1/3 tried-and-true, and 1/3 Marine Spar varnish to finish my Kibler Colonial stock. I applied five coats of this mixture. The last coat was still sticky after four days, so I tried gently heating it with a hair dryer without much success. So, I tried rubbing the finish down with just a hint of turpentine, which seemed to dry everything up. What do I do next? Add a couple of CCs of turpentine to my 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mixture and rub it in again? Shift to a commercial mixture of beeswax and orange oil? Or maybe use Permalyn as a top coat? Most of the pores seem to be filled in because I used a dowel to vigorously burnish the wood prior to trying to finish it?

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts!
//Doc

I'm using a mixture of 1/3 turpentine, 1/3 tried-and-true, and 1/3 Marine Spar varnish to finish my Kibler Colonial stock. I applied five coats of this mixture. The last coat was still sticky after four days, so I tried gently heating it with a hair dryer without much success. So, I tried rubbing the finish down with just a hint of turpentine, which seemed to dry everything up. What do I do next? Add a couple of CCs of turpentine to my 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mixture and rub it in again? Shift to a commercial mixture of beeswax and orange oil? Or maybe use Permalyn as a top coat? Most of the pores seem to be filled in because I used a dowel to vigorously burnish the wood prior to trying to finish it?

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts!
//Doc
Don't know about that mixture, but I would not put any more coats of finish untill you cure up the sticky.
I use polymerized tung oil. No muss no fuss.
Good luck
Larry

I just completed a TC Hawken stock refinish using your described finish (1-1-1). I ran into a similar situation with my 3 or 4th coat. I added just a touch more turpentine for the final coat. It helped with curing time. I don’t think you need to do anything for a final coat. I let mine set for about a week or 10 days and didn’t mess with it. Finish is fully cured. Here’s a picture

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpeg
    IMG_2903.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 0
It sounds like you are applying too much finish at one time. Thick coats of finish don't polymerize well; that's why it feels sticky.

Dip in a finger tip, put a couple of drops on the stock, rub it into a 3-4 inch square area with the heel of your hand until you feel some heat, then do another 3-4 inches. Set it down for few days until as Crisco Kid says you can't smell it. Then repeat the process.

It will take some time, but repeated hand rubbed thin coats will get you what you want.

Back