• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever have one of those days?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This really happened to me this morning, not one of those made up tales that pass around the internet. I wrote this up to send to the owner of the land I hunt.

What a morning!

Got up real early, planning to be in my tree well before daylight. As I start to pull into the field across from the graves I see a truck parked on the side of the road about 100 yds up the hill. Trespassers! I walk up to confront them. Halfway there a dog barks at me, coon hunters, I am still going to see what's going on.

First I am confronted by a 150lb rottweiler, fortunately he is friendly, a little too much so I discover later on.There is another mixed breed dog as well. When I get to the truck I can see it is in the ditch, not parked, with a very drunk redneck idiot at the helm.

Turns out the driver had caught a wild rabbit which turned out to be blind( I am not making this up) and was holding it on the front seat. Apparently the rabbit got loose, the driver made a dive for it, lost control of his truck and landed in the ditch. His truck was sitting on the oil pan and rear differential, driver side wheels on the road and the passenger side suspended in the air. He asks me to drive him to town to get his brother but I told him I would get him out of the ditch

Well, I keep a snatch strap under my truck seat to pull drunk guys, with blind rabbits for pets, out of ditches.

I back my truck up to his, fish my strap out from under the seat, and get ready to hook it up. At this point the rottweiler decided to consummate our brief friendship and is on my backside making an attempt. I knock him off and try to complete my work, here he comes again. Mr. drunk says"he is just happy to see you". I kinda' figured that out for myself.

Anyway, I get loose from the amorous rottweiler and finish my hook-up. Mr. drunk says he doesn't think I can pull him out, don't guess he has seen an F250 in action. I snatch his truck back up on the road easily.

I get unhooked with out incident, the dog has apparently left to find another victim.

Now the guys truck won't crank but he says he has an extra battery in the bed of his truck. He gets the battery and gives it another try. I was never so happy to hear a truck crank in my life. Of course the dogs had vanished and the guy spent a while yelling for their return. After about 10 minutes of yelling he drove off.

I go back to the field, pick up my flintlock, gear and head to the woods. I still made it up a tree before daylight. I was there, knew every deer within a mile or two had found better places to be, but I thought I would stick it out.

About 9:45 the wind shifted toward the fence line and I thought I heard a deer run off below me. At 11:00 I heard a house dog bark on John's land west of me. A little later I heard what I thought was a deer come off the hill and ease through the thicket out of sight.

I got down at 11:30 and was greeted by a white pit bull, a border collie, a fiest and a mixed bred. I slipped away from them without further incident.

What a morning

sounds to me like you could almost moonlight as the pied piper for puppies??LOL :shocked2:

....better luck next week

Yup, one of those mornings. At least they don't happen too often! :shocked2: :redface:

Now that's funny i don't care who you are!!! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: that could only happen in Florence :shake: My hometown :shake: :shake:

I'm going to read that again, with Dueling Banjos playing in the background. Bill

My first Local San Diego Deer, with my first BP gun...taken just last week! I think it will be favorite for a while, even when its not the only one to pick from. :rotf:

Back