• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Examples of fusil fin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting that there seems to be plenty of original longrifles and contemporary makers doing the high end guns. But for finer fusil's little in the way of originals or people making them today.

It's interesting that there seems to be plenty of original longrifles and contemporary makers doing the high end guns. But for finer fusil's little in the way of originals or people making them today.
Lot's of originals burned up in Dresden in all the bombing in WWII. As for today, nearly all the parts would have to be hand made, very expensive.

I'm starting one. Although I do pretty well so far. I don't think mine is whats called fine. My inletting is good so far inlays good fit and finish not exceptional but good. I've done wire inlay but not anymore and no carving. I was thinking of a patchbox but I don't think fusils were known for them. Besides I don't think a patchboxmatches up with a fusil.

I often wonder if I comment too much, one reader said please don’t stop like comments from uk However I got 811 likes , 45 loves , 29 wow, 23 sad & 5 angry So I guess I am ok.

Just almost finished my .625 wall hanger, just got to make wood screws and finish , I can only be a collector in uk , better not comment .

Attachments

• C46F43FB-B84E-4EDA-83EE-056ADC6730B6.jpeg
    C46F43FB-B84E-4EDA-83EE-056ADC6730B6.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • FFF96A0E-8FD2-45BD-A0E2-4FE28F6A2CF2.jpeg
    FFF96A0E-8FD2-45BD-A0E2-4FE28F6A2CF2.jpeg
    1.9 MB
  • 3E7B96BB-6244-4E37-89F4-389B1DDBBA07.jpeg
    3E7B96BB-6244-4E37-89F4-389B1DDBBA07.jpeg
    1.7 MB
  • 3194FB02-4E9C-447A-BAA2-E653CA165AD7.jpeg
    3194FB02-4E9C-447A-BAA2-E653CA165AD7.jpeg
    3.5 MB
  • 46B1BFC7-8EC4-47DD-9A98-E2365080BFD3.jpeg
    46B1BFC7-8EC4-47DD-9A98-E2365080BFD3.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Last edited by a moderator:
I often wonder if I comment too much, one reader said please don’t stop like comments from uk However I got 811 likes , 45 loves , 29 wow, 23 sad & 5 angry So I guess I am ok.

Just almost finished my .625 wall hanger, just got to make wood screws and finish , I can only be a collector in uk , better not comment .
When your posts are relevant to the topic they are great..... no reason you should stop posting in general.....
But what does this have to do with the o.p. ???

Screenshot_20230304-081239_Chrome.jpg

That is the o.p.

The young man is clearly interested in historically correct things based on his other posts and questions. He is now asking about a specific style of gun. He is in Australia where some of what we take for granted is very hard to obtain and far more expensive when it can be had.

Can't someone help him out?

This is a gun that I use for reference when working on a fusil fin de chasse. It is a little grainy and difficult to see a lot of detail carving, but it gives the general view of what these guns would have looked like. I have seen a number of the actual fusils and there is a lot more detail to the carving than can be seen in the picture. Also, to determine the actual profile to the wood it is really necessary to actually handle the gun.

fusil1.jpg

Last edited:
Also, the best kit for a replica is from the Rifle Shoppe. The problem with it (and most fusil kits) is the barrel. Finding one of the proper length and caliber is the problem. It will be necessary to order a custom barrel or accept that the fusil will be a shorter length. I used a .62 Longhammock from Chambers and went with one of 46". The stock was too short for the barrel but that can be remedied. I have another with a 44" Colerain in .66 which is a little closer the the original caliber but still too short. Another option is (or was) a kit from R. E. Davis. It uses a 48" Rayl barrel in .62 cal. Still too short, but closer to the original. I don't know the status of this kit now. Last I saw it was still available.

And or course there are custom builders.

Last edited:
When your posts are relevant to the topic they are great..... no reason you should stop posting in general.....
But what does this have to do with the o.p. ???

View attachment 203150
That is the o.p.

The young man is clearly interested in historically correct things based on his other posts and questions. He is now asking about a specific style of gun. He is in Australia where some of what we take for granted is very hard to obtain and far more expensive when it can be had.

Can't someone help him out?
Hello been searching Holts Norfolk uk auctions Nothing in this March. But found this one back on 2010

PHILIPPE DE SELIER
A FRENCH 18-BORE SINGLE-BARRELLED FLINTLOCK SPORTING RIFLE,
second quarter of the 18th century, with 31 1/2in. swamped octagonal sighted barrel rifled with seven grooves and with gold-lined maker's mark towards the breech, border and scroll engraved flat bevelled lock signed 'PHILIPPE DE SELIER' (cock and steel replaced), moulded figured walnut full stock carved with scrollwork in relief behind the barrel-tang and rear ramrod-pipe, cast and chased brass mounts including trigger-guard decorated with foliage, pierced side-plate, and butt-plate decorated on the tang with a portrait bust supported by two griffins surmounted by a crowned double-headed eagle, pierced crowned escutcheon bearing a second portrait bust, sliding fluted wooden patchbox-cover, brass baluster ramrod-pipes, iron sling mounts, and later wooden ramrod (trigger-plate probably replaced during its working life).

Other Notes: Philippe de Selier is recorded in Paris between circa 1690 and 1740. The maker's mark on the barrel appears to be that of his son Gilles.
Estimate £1,500-2,000

THE ABOVE LOT IS PURCHASED AS AN EXEMPT ITEM UNDER SECTION 58 (2) OF THE 1968 FIREARMS ACT. TO BE HELD AS A CURIOSITY OR ORNAMENT.

Attachments

• BC0BB81F-9CB0-4C94-885E-97D2D2E7A1F8.jpeg
    BC0BB81F-9CB0-4C94-885E-97D2D2E7A1F8.jpeg
    64.7 KB
Australian Gunmakers nice to hear of them there are so few in NZ I made up a French style rifle on Fusil lines if more on ' restocked by another 'lines but such are in recent books if he's interested Ile dig them out. Ime sure there are & where such gun makers across the ditch but their various states dreamt up all sorts of anti gun bumph to hobble the practice .But then when did any Politician ever use rational sense ? theirs are like our current ones Viz a pack of anti gun bastards 'not to put too fine a point on it .
.Rudyard

Back