• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Examples of fusil fin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thollier with the wrong cock

ft4158-5.jpg

Fort Ti fusil fin
I need to make one of those.

"Examples of a Fusil des Fin" was an excellent request.
What might be more helpful is if a detailed example could be posted and those who are more studied and have am eye for the details, could point out the differences between "des Chase," and, "des Fin," type guns.

Looking at the example provided in the link from @florkinliege the differences that stand out to me just seem superficial. Is it just an ornamentation difference? Brass furniture with some engraving versus iron/steel furniture without engraving?

Last edited:
An interesting aside concerning French guns in New England.
I am rereading,
Screenshot_20230314-183933_Kindle.jpg

and in one of the passages regarding one of his enlistments during the French and Indian War he describes the actions taken when the British regained St. John's, Newfoundland, in 1762.
He includes this,
Screenshot_20230314-181656_Kindle.jpg

Home was Rehoboth, Massachusetts at the time, later to be Killingly, Connecticut but the gun did not stay with him that long as near as I can tell. But, it is a first person account of a New Englander gaining and keeping a, "good French gun."

@Brokennock where did you find that book? I really want to get my hands on some books of the F&I war period.
You're not going to like my answer.
Heck, I don't like my answer.....
Amazon.....
Worse, it's a digital copy from Amazon on my Kindle app.
I just have way too many books already to read everything I want to read and add everything to the collection. The digital books allow me to read first, and decide if a physical copy is worth the money and space. I do always prefer a real book though.
This particular book is brief and covers this one individual's recollection of his own activities in both the F&I and American Revolution. I would recommend it.

That the fusil de chasse was almost always 20G but the fin and trait could be anything.
It is just a guess on my part, I'm sure @Comfortably_Numb and/or a few others can and will correct me.
But, I'm guessing that the Fusil des Chase was more standardized as it was the lower end gun of the two and was shipped out as a trade gun that might be used for hunting or pressed into militia service or both, maybe shipped to Canada and other places of French influence by the crate. The Fusil des Fin on the other hand being a higher end gun was more likely purchased individually or even ordered from the manufacturer by the consumer. The individual may want a 12 gauge, or if an officer looking for a lighter gun (lighter ammo too) for whom the gun is more likely a hunting piece or more for show than go militarily (an officer was to command or lead, not to fight) he may have wanted a 28 gauge or similar.

Maybe? Just a guess.....

liWhy was that?
The fusil de chasse was manufactured to exact specifications detailed in contracts with the Ministry of the Marine. Standardization was desirable because the musket was intended for use by the Canadian militia. This made supply and issue of ammunition easier for commanders.

The reason for the standard 20 ga (actually 28 balls to the livre) was because that was a popular hunting caliber. Also for whatever reason, the Ministry of the Marine thought it would be wiser to issue arms of a smaller caliber than military muskets to the domiciled natives (who had converted to Catholicism) and local settlers. Because why would you issue military arms to those who just might turn them against you? Then too, the de chasse musket was lighter than the fusil grenadier, issued to the soldiers of the Marine.

It is just a guess on my part, I'm sure @Comfortably_Numb and/or a few others can and will correct me.
But, I'm guessing that the Fusil des Chase was more standardized as it was the lower end gun of the two and was shipped out as a trade gun that might be used for hunting or pressed into militia service or both, maybe shipped to Canada and other places of French influence by the crate. The Fusil des Fin on the other hand being a higher end gun was more likely purchased individually or even ordered from the manufacturer by the consumer. The individual may want a 12 gauge, or if an officer looking for a lighter gun (lighter ammo too) for whom the gun is more likely a hunting piece or more for show than go militarily (an officer was to command or lead, not to fight) he may have wanted a 28 gauge or similar.

Maybe? Just a guess.....
That about covers it. :thumb:

Nothing to do with guns I guess but at 80, I hate my wife cutting my hair , but guess it makes me young and handsome , of course I was reading this super forum as she did it.

This was my Easter painting. and I am
Still waiting for my 8 bore ml to arrive from Holts uk auction. Paid for it on the 4th I sometime collect but it’s a 380 mile round trip up to top of Norfolk thats £160 for uk petrol, £10/ uk gallon now

Attachments

• 8701E2B1-5475-40A1-BE5F-15C2E3C970FF.jpeg
    8701E2B1-5475-40A1-BE5F-15C2E3C970FF.jpeg
    959.9 KB
  • A8936B05-721A-4012-AC2E-F0D9AD1082B8.jpeg
    A8936B05-721A-4012-AC2E-F0D9AD1082B8.jpeg
    611 KB
  • C460F02E-967C-4E6D-AEBD-AD89E075B7D4.jpeg
    C460F02E-967C-4E6D-AEBD-AD89E075B7D4.jpeg
    573.8 KB
  • BABB6266-41B5-4163-A858-408FA3A4997B.jpeg
    BABB6266-41B5-4163-A858-408FA3A4997B.jpeg