• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experienced patch readers wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh ooh, Im afraid Ive discovered something serious down that bore. Ive had this rifle 4 days now and Ive had the rod and cleaning patch up and down that bore quite a few times now. I even lapped it today with steel wool. Gettin to know that bore like an old friend. Anyhow, going real slow like with a patch today I detected, ever so subtle, about 10" or so upbore from the breech a sudden drop in pressure on the patch for a fraction of an inch, then the pressure picks back up. I suspect someone shot that gun with a ball upboar a ways from the powder and opened up the diameter a bit. Before buying the rifle I sighted along the barrel just like I do with shotguns looking for bulges but didnt see any. This would certainly allow blow-by. If this is the culprit, I guess Ive been had to a certain degree. The rest of the rifle is probably worth around a hundred. And I have learned another lesson. Man, education is expensive. Would you say this is the source of my problem?

That could definately cause a patch to burn. When the patch/ball hits the released pressure it can blowby & burn it.
That is called a Ringed Barrel and that happens when a projectile is not seated on the charge or the projectile was too loose in the bore & moved forward as the gun was carried or was bumped. Have also seen allot of ringed barrels that did not bulge the barrel on the outside. Still have the barrel & you can mic it anyplace on it or use a straight edge & no bulge. But you can feel it. Only think I can say is the lands must have compressed slightly & not the barrel exterior.

One time I loaded one with a vent pick in the vent real tight & pushed the ball to the charge. Let go of the RR for a minute & the ramrod (and ball) raised right off the charge about 7". I couldn't believe it...... The trapped air didn't go out the vent because of the tight vent pick & the ball/patch/lube made a good seal so I had compressed air in there that could not escape. So it taught me a good lesson NOT to put the vent pick in there tight from then on.

Now you have to decide whether to piece it out or buy a barrel I guess. If the gun is a decent gun it would be OK for a new barrel. If it is beat up I would sell the stock on one of the sites & the lock separate. Always someone looking for a stock & same for a spare lock.

I would also call Lyman & tell them you have a loose spot in the barrel & possibly you will find someone there in a good mood that will take care of it. Don't know if ya don't ask, right ? Always worth a call...

thanks fer askin zonie,,but i'm just checkin posts before a weekend vous', won't be back fer a while,i know what shoots well. some lisen and some don't. and no-one can tell in one or a few posts what or how to do it,,,. I've hand the oppertunity to learn from 4-5 students in the past 2 yrs and I have growin weary of debate. can i shoot now? can I take my lessons of humility to hand and learn myself? may i?,,shoot well friends,,hit the mark,,

Here are some common fired patch conditions...

patch1.jpg

Don't forget what buckknife said earlier. Midsouth carries all the different replacement barrels for the GPR. You can get .50 or .54, fast or slow twist, for about $120. If the barrel is no good, I would buy a replacement. Your total investment (including the $100 you already spent) would only be $220, which is still a lot less than buying a new GPR. You would then have what is essentially a brand new rifle at a price that can't be beat. Getting rid of it would be a waste of a good rifle.

The symptoms do sound like the barrel has been "ringed".
It does not suprise me that you didn't see a ring or bulge on the outside of the barrel.
It is real easy to see on a thin shotgun barrel but there is so much wall on a muzzleloading rifle that it can go totally unnoticed. It only takes .010 of bulge in the bore to cause problems and that is only .005 (about 1 1/2 hairs thick) on a side.

If you decide to buy a new barrel, you will still be Way ahead of the cost game. A good used GPR around my area (when you can find one) goes for $275 or more.
Go ahead and rebarrel it. You said you expected to find a piece of junk for only $100 when you went to look at it, and it appears to me you found a lot more than that!

I have to tell you my experience with my GPR.
It's easy to describe, because it is the same story
as we have read here. I bought my rifle new, and
was positive I hadn't short started it, but the barrel
seemed to be ringed. I just kept shooting and cleaning,
shooting and cleaning, and low and behold, after some
time now, the short "ring" went away, and there is the
same patch tension all the way down the barrel, my
patches don't shred anymore, and it's accuracy is
among the best I have seen yet.
I feel the GPR has inherent "bugs" with their rifeling
when new,and the only thing that cures it, is SHOOTING
THE BUGS OUT.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Back