• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experiments with a .32 Kentucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David LaPell

32 Cal
Reaction score
After hearing and reading over the years that a .32 muzzleloading rifle really isn't overall that powerful, I decided to do some experiments for myself to see what it would or would not do. Recently I attended a match where the target was set up 200 yards away and it had to be shot offhand with a flintlock rifle, so I decided to see how hard it would be to hit the target with my Pedersoli .32 Kentucky Rifle. At 200 yards with a .311" ball and 25 grains of FFFG Schutzen and a .010" lubed patch (my most accurate load to date) I had to hold over the target I would have to guess between 18 and 24 inches. I don't have any photos of the target but I was happy I was able to hit the target at all.

Another thing I decided to do was to see how hard a .32 roundball hits a target. I've been told more than once that because a lead roundball is soft, if it hits a hard target, like a tree, it would simply flatten and bounce off. So, I again took my .32 Kentucky Rifle and the same .311" load and shot two trees, one a live maple and the other a dead hardwood. I put a tarp under both to catch the ball once the shot was fired and the roundball was deflected.
In the case of the live maple (this tree is on my property by the way so I'm not out shooting someone else's trees) the ball penetrated about 2-3 inches and bounced out and cleared the 4 x 6 foot tarp and went who knows where. I was shoot from about 10-15 yards away. You can clearly see where the ball entered and bounced right back out.

kentucky32p.jpg

roundballtest9.jpg

Next I shot a dead hardwood tree, but this one I was able to get better results. Again, the ball penetrated 2-3 inches, but it didn't bounce out and fell out when I turned the tree over. What surprised me was that there was almost no deformation of the ball. I cast these myself from Hornady .570" round balls I didn't have any use for, so they are soft. The only marks on the ball are some striations where it entered the wood and you can see the marks from the wood grain. It's very slightly out of round but that's about it.

roundballtest10.jpg

roundballtest11.JPG

Lastly I decided to see what a .32 would do against a real target, say a flesh analog. So, I took a pack of pork spare ribs that had needed to go, and I set them up at a realistic distance, 50 yards. Same load was used, the .311" roundball, 25 grains of FFFG Schutzen and a .010" lubed patch. All three shots went in and penetrated easily, with one shot catching a rib on the way off and chipping it. That's the top slightly ragged hole.

Roundballtest2.JPG

roundballtest1.JPG

roundballtest3.JPG

roundballtest4.JPG

roundballtest5.JPG

In the end I was pretty impressed with the .32 Kentucky Rifle and how effective it is for such a small caliber. While I wouldn't recommend it on deer, I can see why the .36 and .40 calibers are so popular in the south where you can hunt deer with them, because with something like a .36, a well-placed shot, if need be, could kill a deer and wouldn't be overkill on small game either.
The .32 certainly would have been something to reckon with against a person, especially in the 1700's where any wound could be fatal due to sepsis or infection. One of those .311 balls placed anywhere in the vitals could easily be fatal if not immediately, but if not properly treated or even if it were if infection were to set in.

Here in Tennessee, .36 caliber muzzleloaders are legal for deer, bear and elk. I’d guess that in the 19th century, .32 caliber or whatever someone had would have been used for everything.

After hearing and reading over the years that a .32 muzzleloading rifle really isn't overall that powerful, I decided to do some experiments for myself to see what it would or would not do. Recently I attended a match where the target was set up 200 yards away and it had to be shot offhand with a flintlock rifle, so I decided to see how hard it would be to hit the target with my Pedersoli .32 Kentucky Rifle. At 200 yards with a .311" ball and 25 grains of FFFG Schutzen and a .010" lubed patch (my most accurate load to date) I had to hold over the target I would have to guess between 18 and 24 inches. I don't have any photos of the target but I was happy I was able to hit the target at all.

Another thing I decided to do was to see how hard a .32 roundball hits a target. I've been told more than once that because a lead roundball is soft, if it hits a hard target, like a tree, it would simply flatten and bounce off. So, I again took my .32 Kentucky Rifle and the same .311" load and shot two trees, one a live maple and the other a dead hardwood. I put a tarp under both to catch the ball once the shot was fired and the roundball was deflected.
In the case of the live maple (this tree is on my property by the way so I'm not out shooting someone else's trees) the ball penetrated about 2-3 inches and bounced out and cleared the 4 x 6 foot tarp and went who knows where. I was shoot from about 10-15 yards away. You can clearly see where the ball entered and bounced right back out.

View attachment 350312

View attachment 350302

Next I shot a dead hardwood tree, but this one I was able to get better results. Again, the ball penetrated 2-3 inches, but it didn't bounce out and fell out when I turned the tree over. What surprised me was that there was almost no deformation of the ball. I cast these myself from Hornady .570" round balls I didn't have any use for, so they are soft. The only marks on the ball are some striations where it entered the wood and you can see the marks from the wood grain. It's very slightly out of round but that's about it.

View attachment 350303

View attachment 350304

Lastly I decided to see what a .32 would do against a real target, say a flesh analog. So, I took a pack of pork spare ribs that had needed to go, and I set them up at a realistic distance, 50 yards. Same load was used, the .311" roundball, 25 grains of FFFG Schutzen and a .010" lubed patch. All three shots went in and penetrated easily, with one shot catching a rib on the way off and chipping it. That's the top slightly ragged hole.

View attachment 350306

View attachment 350305

View attachment 350307

View attachment 350308

View attachment 350309

In the end I was pretty impressed with the .32 Kentucky Rifle and how effective it is for such a small caliber. While I wouldn't recommend it on deer, I can see why the .36 and .40 calibers are so popular in the south where you can hunt deer with them, because with something like a .36, a well-placed shot, if need be, could kill a deer and wouldn't be overkill on small game either.
The .32 certainly would have been something to reckon with against a person, especially in the 1700's where any wound could be fatal due to sepsis or infection. One of those .311 balls placed anywhere in the vitals could easily be fatal if not immediately, but if not properly treated or even if it were if infection were to set in.
That is some good testing and information. I recently saw a dude in YouTube kill a deer with a Crockett .32. in the build up to his hunt he did lots of load development and practice and made a good clean kill. Also, when I joined the forum a few years back, there was a pretty regular poster here that said all he ever hunted with for squirrel up to deer was with a .32 rifle. He was in Texas, or somewhere out west, but can't remember who it was. Personally I wouldn't go after deer or other big game with a .32. Well, maybe in a survival situation, but not on purpose. But it is good to know the capabilities of your gun just in case.

in hunting it is all about location, location, location, where you place the ball/bullet. i have skinned and cleaned deer shot with a 22 LR and close range and the bullets break ribs and penetrate to the offside hide. here in SC my daddy had killed every critter here with 22 and a lot of deer he killed with a 22 hornet. last year i killed a small buck with a hornet, 2 jumps and he fell stone dead with a heart hit. not saying it is for everybody but just pointing out much is not needed to kill a non-ferocious animal. i have a 36 and i am planning to kill a deer with it this year. you just have to be patient and pick your shot and be close enough. i hope it is ok to point out what a small CF rifle for comparison will do on this forum. but i have no doubt a 32 loaded with say 45gr. of 3f will easily kill a deer at close range. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Best testing I have done with my 32 is on a coyote shot opportunity while squirrel hunting using a .311 ball and 30 grains 3f. Coyote come out running field edge 130 yards across. He stop for a split second and I sent it. I held about 6 inches over the back and it was a high lung hit the doggy went 15 yards or so and was dead. The ball was still inside as it went through far shoulder and stuck in hide. It was mostly luck as I have never shot the gun ever past 75 yards ever. But whenever there's a coyote spotted there's going to be a shot taken.
People who bash those using a 36 caliber for deer seem to forget a 000 Buckshot pellet is .350 diameter (same as many 36 cal round balls, and a 00 buck is .330 even smaller. People have killed deer forever with both by spraying and praying the woods with buckshot. I've seen countless deer killed around 100 yard range with 00 buck (single pellet hits/kills) and coming out the same speed as a 36 cal prb. But I see nothing wrong with a well aimed 36 prb and limited ranges being used because I already know the results.

Latest posts

Back