• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fairness to game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I salute you for that! That's referred to as ethical hunting or true sportsmanship. Unfortunately there are many hunters out there that call themselves Sportsman that don't think or act accordingly. :(

I always figured I should give the same respect to a deer that I would to my mother-in-law. Make it clean and put it out of it's misery. Hay just kidding :blah:
Bob

Amen oomcurt I agree whole heartedly! Now what was the anthropotimitins thing you were talking about???? LOLOL

rabbit03

It's either a cross between an anteater and a hippo or a hippo w/ antlers..depending how you pronouce it..either way they still deserve respect....specially the antlered hippo!!!

54roundball said:
I always figured I should give the same respect to a deer that I would to my mother-in-law.

I feel that I owe the deer a lot more respect than that! :rotf:

Interesting thread. As I have gotten older I have passed on many deer that I didn't have a clean shot at. I've wounded two deer in thrty three years of hunting that didn't end up hanging. One I only think I hit, I'm really not sure. The other I think I mortally hit and could not find or find signs enough to track it. That one kinda bother me to this day. I spent an awful amount of time searching the big woods for that deer. All of the others have been dead when I walked up to them precisely because I had the patience to wait for the sweet shot. And one has been all I've ever needed

I'm in total agreement with you Slake. I've passed up a hell of a lot more shots than I've taken. It all boils down to ethics. You're either an ethical sportsman or you're a slob sportsman which gives our sport a bad name in the eyes of the public.

If it's an iffy shot you pass on it. If you're not sure what's beyond it you pass on it. I can't preach hunter safety or ethics enough. But, I guess like everything else, you're always going to have a few bad apples out there spoiling it for the rest of us.

I too have passed on quite a few shots. I'm not a trophy hunter all I want is the meat and a young doe fills the bill best. However if I have the choice between a young doe and a 12 point the egotist(for lack of a better word) comes out in me. Where I grew up hunting most shots were 300 yds or better across soy bean fields. I'll take a good 300 yd shot in a heartbeat and have made quite a few of then and never lost a deer I've fired on at that range. I've let some big dang trophy bucks walk tho because I felt it was just a smidge too far for me to trust myself or they wouldn't turn just right. I think being conscientious makes you a better hunter and a better person.

I love young does, in the Adirondacks you can only shoot does during muzzleloading season. They are by far the best tasting venison there is IMHO. I have no problem bangin a doe and commence to cutting and cooking while everyone else is out horn huntin. I've even heard that the best way to manage a deer heard is limit the does, not the bucks

I think that you owe it to the animal to put it down as cleanly and quickly as possible. That animal provides you and I think you should be fair.

Back