• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fake arrowhead flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I make some of my flints from fake arrowheads I buy from Amazon for under $.40 each. First I knock off the base. I then notch above the point and take off some of the point end until the size is right. They usually spark well.
14F7C4A4-1136-465C-A03F-C94FECB76C2C.jpeg
99CC9152-F897-4BA7-985C-DABD3F8401BC.jpeg
EA9861F2-ED46-46E9-BCBB-603DE9546F6A.jpeg
AFE382B3-9003-4F6F-969F-EFDBC9EB36B1.jpeg

Last edited:
I think some sellers call the agate. The ones I bought were about $19.00 for 50. About half or more look good for flints.

agate is a form of chert all flints are chert , german cut agate is sold with lesser flinters . take any rock (your arrow heads) try to scratch glass if it does then see if it sparks (glass hardness 5 flints/cherts 7 diamonds 10) agate jasper chert flint and quartz all sio2

Chert is a hard, fine-grained sedimentary rock composed of microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline quartz, the mineral form of silicon dioxide (SiO2). Chert is characteristically of biological origin, but may also occur inorganically as a chemical precipitate or a diagenetic replacement, as in petrified wood

Once at the Alafai I had a couple targets left to shoot and my last flint broke. Badly.
I quickly began to venture among the closest vendors and found nothing that would work. Then I found some new made arrowheads.
I bought a few, went back to the line, trimmed them with pliers to fit my lock and finished the match. They worked well, but didn't last very long.
On a side note in the old days folks often made gun flints out of arrowheads they would find.

I've posted about doing this exact same thing before, back about 50 years or so ago when I couldn't find real flints. Back then, living in Michigan, there were numerous souvenir shops that would have a small wicker basket of modern-made arrowheads (some really crude) setting on the counter near the cash register. I'd go through them looking for the ones that appeared flintish to me. Back home, after some crude amateurish reshaping, they would be put to use. Surprisingly they often worked pretty well. The things we do in this hobby.

Back