• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fallow-calf down in Germany

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congratulations Baikal.

gmww said:
Congratulations Baikal! Many of us don't know the custom of putting fresh pine branches over the mouth of your harvest that is practiced in Europe. Would you mind explaining this interesting custom?

Interesting. In my original hunting group (now disbanded) we would break off a hemlock twig and a piece was tucked in the deer's mouth and another piece dipped in the blood and then tucked in the successful hunter's hatband. I don't remember who actually started the "tradition" but I'm sure it was a hand-me-down from times past.

We also had the tradition that with any new or guest hunters you did not field dress your first deer. That one was a practical tradition as you not only got to see it done once but you also were probably shaking so bad you'd slit your own wrist! :rotf:

I got to play with a fallow deer this fall but it was not a m/l kill. This was an introduced "escapee" from a ranch down in the valley that I took while grouse hunting on my own land!

HPIM0358.jpg

Talk about a windfall!

Very nice Fallow. I encountered the practice of placing fresh cuttings while hunting in British Columbia, Canada. The outfitter was a 1st Generation German who came to Canada shortly after the 2nd World War.

Before we took photos of the bear he placed the cutting in front of its mouth. I couldn't recall the reason so that's why I had to ask. I also figured the other's here might want to hear about this custom. Great guide and outfitter. He's in his 70's I think.

Back