• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fartherest shot at deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randal Zartman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a really interesting late flintlock season in PA. My question is "What is the fartherest shot that you have taken with a flintlock at a deer that you got?" What gun, bullet and charge were you using?
Later
Z

Zman said:
I had a really interesting late flintlock season in PA. My question is "What is the fartherest shot that you have taken with a flintlock at a deer that you got?" What gun, bullet and charge were you using?
Later
Z
6 pointer at 60 yards with a .45cal TC Hawken Flintlock.
90grns Goex FFFg (3F)
OxYoke overpowder wad
.018" TC pillow ticking
Hornady .440
Broke a rib going into the heart, stopped bulging the hide out on the far side shoulder, sprinted 25yds and collapsed.

1316428111904-.45calFlintlock6pointer800pixels.jpg

39 paces 20ga fowler
.595 ball
80 grns 2f goex
.18 pillow ticking
old swamphunter lube
total pass thru. buck ran around 100yrds.

Small Doe this year was 70 yards slight quartering away. Used a 1792 contract rifle, The load was 90gr of FF and a Hornady .54 ball, .18 pillow tick bear greased patch.

My first shot at a deer with my 1858 Enfield. 150 yards, right thru the heart!! Awesome gun!

With a muzzleloader about 60 yards. Lyman GPR caplock, 100 grs. Ffg and PRB. Representative doe.

Vic

Approx 90 yards.

.490 self cast ball.

70 gr.s 3FFF Swiss

Pillow tick patch with mutton tallow lube.

Complete pass through.

Quartering away slightly.

Dropped on the spot basically!
Doe0509.jpg

Chuck

With a flintlock on deer, eh?

37 paces with a .650" cloth patched round ball from a 16 bore smoothie Bess, 85 gr 2F. :haha:

Now, you wanna talk cap lock w/Maxi-Hunter (or round ball even)? :grin:

I passed on a large doe this season with Cherry at 35 yards +/- because it was moving and the shot just didn't "feel right".

Longest deer--- 85 yd running stretched out 8 pointer. Longest turkey 125 yd. Both .50 T/C hawken, 90 gr. 2F and Maxiball in caplock. :v

Typically I practice at 50yds. Most flintlock shots are under that. Friday 1-6-06 I had 7 deer come past me. #6 stopped befoe crossing the creek. I had a good rest and no obstructions. Turned out to be a shedder buck. PRB, Lyman deerstalker, 80 grains fffg powder. Distance to be measured. Initial guess between 100 - 120 yds. My buddy told me nice shot, don't ever do that again. :hmm:
Later
Z

Farthest shot on a deer with my pedersoli Kentucky 50 caliber .490 hornady round ball, wonder lube .020 patch and 90 grains of Goex FFg-
50 yards.
Rocklock.jpg

Farthest shot with a flintlock on a critter was with a CVA Hawken, .50 cal same load on this:
buffalohunters.jpg
At 125 yards.

Micanopy, How come the deer in the second photo has a much larger and darker head than the one hanging upside down?

Please tell us the "rest of the story" about that "dark deer".
Later
Z

The second photo is of My daughter, I and a Buffalo Bison we shot a year ago last valintines day. Great day, a blue norther had come thru and it was colder than we had expected, but it was a wonderfull day. I am happy father for many reasons, but one of the reasons is that my daughter loves shooting traditional side locks, and does very well at it.

Skunk skin hats was common in the old days. There is a way to make em not smell, aint all that hard to do. She likes it but likes her new coon skin hat better! LOL

Micanopy said:
Skunk skin hats was common in the old days. There is a way to make em not smell, aint all that hard to do. She likes it but likes her new coon skin hat better! LOL

Skunk hats? :cursing: Thets called child abuse in some parts! :rotf: :blah:

Davy

Latest posts

Back