• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Brand of Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kragluver

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've used nothing but CCI #11 caps since I first got into muzzleloading. I've encountered a large percentage of hangfires/misfires with Pyrodex, no misfires when shooting FFFG black, and a couple of misfires with 777. I like shooting black the best, but its getting harder to come by. I also like the long term storage properties of 777 better.

Anyway - to the point - what is this board's opinion on the best brand of cap? I haven't experimented, and I'm not married to CCI - its just what I've used in the past. BTW - I changed out the nipple on my GPR with a Sure-Fire nipple, but it didn't seem to help reduce hangfires (with pyro).

I apologize in advance if this topic has been discussed in detail before. I did a cursory search and didn't see it in the topic headers.

I shoot real black after that first can of phony stuff. no more hang fires and real black has been known to store for years(like 150ish)

CAPS....
cci is sold locally here, so thats what I buy.I like the cci 11mags but really dont have to use them, just do!
my second choice is the RWS caps. I have had NO failures with either brand.

Oh, I agree with you -- I like shooting real black powder over the fake stuff. I've had decent luck with the 777 though (still some misfires), and it does clean up nicely. I'm done with Pyrodex.

I use CCI#11 magnum caps.
I like black, but have had no problem using pyrodex p.instead of fffgoex, as long as I do my part!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

I shoot nothing but Goex black powder in 2f and 3f. I have used Remington caps exclusively for years with NO misfires due to the cap.
I recently purchased 1,000 CCI caps because they were inexpensive...$2.48 per 100 from Sportsmans Warehouse that was closing up.
I haven't tried them yet but I imagine they're just as good as Remington, maybe better.

HD

Swamp Rat said:
Two of the very best brands are Tom Fuller or Rich Pierce brand. :grin:

I agree except that when they get wet they don't work as well as Remington's or CCI's. :wink:

HD

Like CCI and RWS BOTH!
Found a priceing error (my guess) last week....RWS Musket caps taged at $4.79 per 100. Bought all 2000 of them. Set for awhile now :grin:

I use Pyrodex RS with CCI #11 magnum caps and have no problems with miss fires. I even have a backup #11 nipple for my rifled musket because sometimes I can't find musket caps. Have not had a miss fire using #11 magnum caps in it either but I swab with alcohol a lot. The only problem I've had is the occasional dud cap.

I shoot CCI caps, havent had any problems in the last 15,000 or so. I shot quite a bit of Pyro, got it on clearance at wally world a couple years ago, at 5.00 a 1#, so I shot 35 # of that one summer, but other than that fluke I shoot strictly black(GOEX) and as fr as long term storage, nothing beats Authentic Black powder. But at 30-40# a year mine powder store doesnt last long anyway.

CCI and Remington have always done me right. I've been using the CCI Magnums lately with the same success.

It seems to me that not all #11 caps are the same size. Some brands fit differently on the standard nipples. :hmm: GW

"when they get wet" You had better stick with caps. You have not yet learned to shoot a rock lock. :rotf:

I try to use Remington exclusively. It has never let me down. I have had a lot of problems with CCI caps over the years. I can't get RWS regularly or I'd probably use them too.

As for powder storage. I doubt 777 has anything on black powder for long life. Decades are nothing to black powder. 777 hasn't even been on the market long enough to know about it's long term storage life. Pyrodex doesn't age well, though.

Black powder is easy to mail order and you pay a lot less per pound for it that way than if you bought it locally.

Your problems with Pyrodex misfiring isn't cap related. Pyrodex is just hard to light. A lot of folks switch to magnum caps, or even musket caps to get the stuff to light. Higher powered caps can detract from accuracy though.

I like the RWS and the new Remington hot caps. I have had good luck with the Spitfire nipple sold by Cains in W.Va. I use black powder. Dilly

nw hunter,
I have probably used about every
type cap I can buy.By far my favorite is the
CCI magnum cap.
I think it should be noted that there is nothing
absolute with b/p....What works for me may be :bull: in your b/p gun. I think it is the
trial and error that makes this such a great
endevor.
snake-eyes:hmm:

I like #1075 Dynamit Nobel for all my rifles. I use goex 2f and 3f. If I do my part it fires everytime. I don't recall the last misfire.

Huntin Dawg said:
Swamp Rat said:
Two of the very best brands are Tom Fuller or Rich Pierce brand. :grin:

I agree except that when they get wet they don't work as well as Remington's or CCI's. :wink:

HD

That's the reason GOD invented the "Cow Knee"!

Besides!...Everytime I tried to knap a sharp edge on a cap, I found them to hard to hold and they kept blowing-up on me...Go figure?

Back