• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Brand of Caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
horner75 said:
Huntin Dawg said:
Swamp Rat said:
Two of the very best brands are Tom Fuller or Rich Pierce brand. :grin:

I agree except that when they get wet they don't work as well as Remington's or CCI's. :wink:

HD

That's the reason GOD invented the "Cow Knee"!

Besides!...Everytime I tried to knap a sharp edge on a cap, I found them to hard to hold and they kept blowing-up on me...Go figure?

:eek:ff I'm guilty!

:haha:
I carry mine with the lock under my arm which works for most wet weather. I've never sat in the rain long enough to use my cows knee.

HD

Kragluver,

I use CCI magnums #11 on my rifle with Pyrodex RS.
and CCI #10 on my 1860 Army with the same powder so far no problemo.

James Taylor

Thanks for all the responses. Its possible that my Pyrodex problems may have been age related. The first couple pounds I had were given to me by my Dad and they were at leas 10 years old at that time. I still like shooting black though -- nothing like the smell. It just "looks" better too!

I use Goex black powder and always have. I have used RWS caps but have gone to using CCI's here lately with better results. RWS has changed there formula and I get a lot of clogged nipples with them. Not the CCi's. No more problems.

I started using the CCI Magnum #11 primers and haven't looked back. I also use a Spitfire nipple which also helps alot.

But the main problem every one has is not from which nipple or powder but instead it is a matter of not getting the crud out of the barrel before the next shot. The crud builds up at the breech area and in the flash hole from the bottom of the nipple to the fire chamber area. This causes the rifle to hang fire or to not fire at times.

This area of the breech is the problem you are having and it has nothing to do with anything else. Solve this problem and you solved most all of your problem with igniton.

This is my opinion based on thousands and thousands of roundballs down range.

rabbit03

kragluver said:
Thanks for all the responses. Its possible that my Pyrodex problems may have been age related. The first couple pounds I had were given to me by my Dad and they were at leas 10 years old at that time. I still like shooting black though -- nothing like the smell. It just "looks" better too!
I've seen it posted and heard that Pyrodex does not age well however by my experience that is not the case. This year, digging through a box, I found a half used canister of Pyrodex RS with the Victoria All Sports (where I bought it) label still on it. I haven't lived in Victoria, TX for over 10 years so the canister was a least that and probably older. Shot it against a fresh canister with absolutely no difference in point of impact or ignition. Maybe it has something to do with how it is stored ... don't know. But, this canister had been in three garages from Victoria to Little Rock to Arlington :hmm:

Back