• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Dove recipes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spitfire

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well tis the season for Dove.Wondering if ya'll had any favorite method or recipe.Years ago I would hunt with the Colonel and he would marinate his Dove(overnight)in a secret Dark German beer recipe then grill.Tasty :grin: !

Spitfire,
That sounds good.
One way I cook them is to breast the doves then brush on olive oil and garlc salt. Put them on the BBQ for a short time. :grin: The wife has a couple other ways. I like them all.....GW

6 dressed doves
1 bacon strip per bird
chipped beef
1 can mushroom soup
1 c. sour cream
Wrap each dove with strip of bacon. Place layer of chipped beef in bottom of casserole. Arrange
doves on top. Pour mushroom soup and sour cream
over the top, cover and bake in a 325 degree
oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Enjoy
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Dove potpie. Make it like a PA dutch potpie. Roll out flour dough and cut it into squares. Drop in in boiling water. Cut up some potatoes and add them into the pot. Add salt, pepper and the breast from the doves. You can also add other spices if you like, parsley and tarragon, etc, whatever you like. Some folks add carrots also. Boil it all until the potatoes are soft but not mushy and the dove breast are cooked through. Enjoy.

Just went dove hunting the last two mornings (modern shotgun as I don't have a proper fowler just yet). Time to dig out my recipes too. I remember a friend I hunted with years ago had two spectacular recipes. I wish I had them.

For one, he seasoned the bird with herbs, put a bit of onion in the cavity, wrapped it with bacon and grilled it over fruitwood. That was really good and the bacon kept it from drying out.

The other time, he wrapped the dove and some finely chopped veggies and spices into a small piece of puff pastry and baked them. Sort of like individual dove pies. That's the recipe I really wish I had. They were outstanding.

I went poking around the net looking for recipes and found this one that sounds similar to the one my friend made:

Ingredients:

8 Birds of your choice

1-pound fresh bacon

½ cup Italian salad dressing

1 tablespoon paprika

1 teaspoon ground sage

½ teaspoon garlic powder

Salt and pepper

Marinate birds in Italian salad dressing overnight. Pat dry, season with paprika, ground sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Wrap each bird with bacon slices. If you use more than one slice of bacon to cover the bird match the seams on the same side. Place the birds on a medium-hot grill, bacon seam side down. Cover and grill for 15 minutes. Turn and grill another 15 minutes. Test the bird with a fork, if it is not tender cook an additional 15 minutes.

Anyone have any other recipes? I've been out 6 times already and got my limit the last 4. Heap many doves piling up ready for eatin'. :)

For an appetizer, you can bone out the breasts, giving you two pieces of meet about the size of a fork's tines. Wrap each in a strip of bacon, and maybe put a chestnut slice on top, sticking the three things together with a toothpick. Then brown in light oil. Pour in milk, enough to cover the bottom of the pan, and maybe a 1/4 inch deep, so it doesn't boil off, adding salt( a very little needed) and pepper, to taste, cover, and cook in the milk for an hour, at low heat. The bacon strips will be soft, and the dove tender. This makes great finger food! But it won't last long.

Obviously, this is a simple recipe you can play with using other spices. A dusting of Paprika comes to mind as something you can add after they are cooked and before serving, to add " spice " to the flavors. YOu can also make " brown " gravy out o the drippings, and pour that over the dove " bites" for flavoring, too.

PA dutch Pot Pie. I had it with dove and squirels a few time. I like peas in mine also another spice we use is saphren.

SF

You guys got me all hungry now. Spitfire, thanks for starting this thread! Great sounding recipes.

Your welcome Plink!Sure nice recipes you guys have posted :applause:!The local Bama method is to wrap/toothpick the Dove in bacon and grill.

Latest posts

Back