• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite movies set before 1840

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a double feature at the house last Sat with a few rondy buddies. We watched "Last of the Mohicians" and the "Fighting Kentuckian" What are your favorite (pre 1840 setting) movies?

I have several favorite movies, but my favorite all-time "scene" from a pre-1840's movie is from "The Kentuckian" starring Burt Lancaster. This movie apparently takes place in the Kentucky backcountry circa 1820. In one of the final scenes, a backwoodsman is shown frantically reloading his flint longrifle while ol' Burt splashes across a creek to do him harm. Of course, Burt gets to him a split second before he is able to bring the muzzle up to fire. I wonder how many times they had to shoot that scene before they got the timing down to the split second that they showed in the movie.

There is also ..

Unconquered .. Gary Cooper

Drums Along the Mohawk .. Henry Fonda

Man In the Wilderness .. Richard Harris

Northwest Passage .. Spencer Tracy

Across the Wide Missouri .. Clark Gable

Far Horizons .. Fred McMurray

Davy :hatsoff:

Them backwoods boys what was after Big Eli were a memorable and sinister bunch, carrying what sure looked to be original pieces. Would'nt want 'em after me. A great, but seldom rerun, flick!
Longshot

One Million Years B.C.Raquel Welch
Spartacus Kirk Douglas
Richard III Laurance Olivier
Ben Hur Kirk Douglas
Ten Commandments Charlton Heston
Monty Python's Holy Grail Monty Python
and finally, Life of Brian Monty Python
too pre 1840?:winking:

I agree with all of Davy's, and add, "Alleghany Uprising"...John Wayne and Claire Trevor...loosely based on a true event Hank

Last of the Mohicans
Rob Roy
Master and Commander
Braveheart
Treasure Island (Charlton Heston, 1989)
The Mountain Men
The Buccaneer (Yule Brennar as Jean Lafitte and Charlton Heston as Andy Jackson)
The ALamo (John Wayne)
Davy Crockett and the River Pirates
Waterloo
Jerimiah Johnson would make the list but I would time it as about 1847.

From "The Kentuckian" film ... those are some of my very fave shots of guns from that period ... they DO look like originals to me too! :hatsoff:

Davy

oops, :redface: if I'm gonna be a wise guy I'd getter gett it right!:confused:
I guess I'd better cast a vote for Black Robe and revolution then :thumbsup:

How about A man called horse and Return of a man called horse.Havent seen them since I was a kid and cant find them on dvd.They were pre 1860 right?Like I said havent seen since I was a kid but wasnt he using a ML shotgun when he got captured?

They used real Kentucky's and Besses..When they
were shooting at the fort..one who was sitting
and shooting had a clatch and re cocked the cock
Another guy from the back reached out and closed
the frizzen and then the gun shot...CK it out.

The last of The Mohicans
Braveheart
The Patriot
Monty Python and The Holy Grail
The Life of Brian
Robin Hood; Men In Tights
Troy
The Gladiator
The New World

13th warrior
black rose
aligainy uprising
horatino hornblower
the vickings
the big sky

Master & Commander. I like big boats with big guns on them.
Ben Hur. The Roman Galley scene where the slaves have to row to the beat of a drum (didn't happen that way. You couldn't hear a drum aboard those galleys and you had a skinny dude with a flute instead of Bongo on the drums).
Waterloo with Rod Steiger (?) playing the role of a bloated Napoleon (Boney was bloated by the time of Waterloo).

Back