• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite style of Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several smoothbores but the one I like most is my Fusil de chase (tulle) in 20ga. I hunt deer with RB and turkeys, rabbits and squirrels with shot.

Fusil%201.JPG

Here's my 12ga English fowler that has taken more than a few turkeys

00small74049317.JPG

I have 2 smoothbores. The first is a Caywood english game gun kit that I put together a few yrs back. The second one is one I built a couple yrs ago. I installed a rear sight on this one an it shoots a .690 ball real good out to about 60 yrds :thumbsup:

22fowl said:
Over 20,000 members and only 4 different pictures of favorite smoothies....Must all be rifle shooters????

These are the only ones I have pictures of at this time
Some only get PRB some only get shot. One is just for trap shooting

William Alexander

You asked for "favorite." I can't choose between the two I have. They both have qualities and attributes I like better than the other, but in the end, I really can't say which one is my "favorite."

My Centermark Tule Fusil De Chase is lighter and quicker handling than my Early Virginia smooth rifle. But, I like the rear sight and rifle architecture of the Early Virginia. Both are reliable, both put the shot/ball where it needs to be when I do my part, the E.V. is a little more forgiving with round ball if I'm in a weird position or don't mount the gun cleanly due to the rear sight, but the F.D.C. gets the nod for shot on moving small game. Both locks are very fast, no "Klatch, poof, boom," again, when I do my part.
Either gun on it's own would be just fine as my only gun doing the jobs that make a smoothbore so versatile.

I have limited experience with smoothies, my first was an old Gustomsky trade gun that was pretty rough around the edges and didn't impress me much.

I built my second, an English fowler 12ga. Now, it impresses me and is my favorite.

22fowl said:
Over 20,000 members and only 4 different pictures of favorite smoothies....Must all be rifle shooters????

Okay :) here's mine. Posted it before but might as well here too. It's 10 gauge with a 46" barrel, and I believe began life as a Chambers kit. Light and very well balanced for such a large gun....Mick C

I'm not a big fan of English percussion shotguns but James Purdey percussion guns are beautiful to me. They look very practical. :wink:

I have one of the Euroarms/Gallyon 12ga shotguns, it s basically a replica of an English 1850s percussion single barrel shotgun.It is lightweight and handles like a dream, one of my favourite muzzleloaders[/i][/b]

Some nice looking guns posted here. :thumbsup:

Stumpy: That IS a nice looking piece of walnut!!

Here's two I own: First is an English Fowler/Officers Fusil by Mike Brooks. 20 gauge, 41.5", tapered and flared Long Hammock barrel. 7-8-lbs. But balances like it's 6-7. For round ball shooting and an occassional turkey load. Best balanced gun I've ever owned. Has to be my favorite.
Second is a Centermark I picked up second hand at a local gun show. Was a bit of a mess when I got it. But had the gunsmith re-finish it and make some tweaks. Looks and shoots good now.
Rick. :hatsoff:

PGTMG:

I have a great many smoothbores, but I have to admit that my first smoothbore, my .75 Matchlock Musket which I call Hildegarde is my favorite for sentimental reasons.

BP03.jpg

BP03a.jpg

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

NSW Early English Tradegun. Occasionally I actually kill something with it.

/
CIMG1395.jpg

Back