• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ferry horse 1855 pistol replica

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent00

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, its me again, and I am also intersted in shooting muzzle loading pistols. I have read an article about the ferry horse 1855 pistol. Is a replica available of that gun??

The 1855 was made by Springfield Armory, not Harper's Ferry. This was the pistol-carbine experiment which did not go well. I have a repo of the pistol, & it is not a real one hand shooter. Sorta bulky & hard to hold up.

However, Harper's Ferry did make the 1805 pistol, which is a handsome piece & is used as the symbol of the Army's MPs. There are several replicas; mine is not well made The lock was completely wrong & I replaced it w/ a new 1805 lock. No makers stamp but has Belgian proofs. It's a bit difficutl to shoot as there are no sights & it is a bit straight stocked for modern shooters. It was designed to point & yank the trigger.

Don't know which pistol you refer to, however I would think as a new shooter you would be happier w/ a Pennsylvania style pistol rather than the clumsy older military pistols.

ok thx for your detailed answer. And I will start with a Pennsylvania style pistol. I like the look of that gun.

Back