• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg in a .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd45

32 Cal
Reaction score
Is it ok to use FFg black in a .45 caplock? I have plenty and don't want to pay shipping on a new order. Anyone tried it? I always shot FFg in my .50cal.

I've used it in my Vincent 45 rifle and it works fine. However, I do get better accuracy with 3F.

Thanks. Since we're on this subject, I wonder what would the safe limits be on each burning rate if you were limited in a survival situation?

Could you use FFFFg in tiny charges in many calibers? Or Fg in the other direction? Just curious if it's ever been tested to see what is a safe limit.

If you forget the main charge, removing the nipple and getting a small amount 4F behind the ball can clear the barrel. It's generally not recommended to use 4F as a main charge in any gun. There's a few threads on here discussing this.

Larger bores burn powder more efficiently, so smaller grains that burn more quickly aren't as necessary. I'm sure you can use 2F or really coarse cannon grade in smaller calibers, but you may find velocity and accuracy suffer.

If I can push a patched round ball down a barrel with my bare hands, any black powder will push it back out. I’ve even used 1f in a .45 percussion when I didn’t have anything else.

I get better accuracy in my .45’s with 2f. There seem to be less “fines” in 2f than with 3f, and less variation in velocities. I also use 2f in my .40 caliber chunk gun for that reason.

Back