• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg in a .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure this has been discussed or said before but a lot of men when they got to a nearby trading post they would have there one and only powder horn charged with a refill of whatever the grain size was back then and that was to prime with also so with that being said I believe we make to much out of powder granulation size and this includes myself as well.

When I started with sidelocks in 1975, I had the powder horn and found out 2f did not flow well so I went to 3f to fill my measure. I haven’t gone back since and had long trials to work up a good load. .50 cal. and .020 patch my 80/20 beef tallow and mink oil mix 80 grs. 3f and a .490 cast ball 1:48 twist shoot very well at 100 yds. and 2 1/2” high at 50 yds. I have killed deer at 90 yards with it.
Coupe.

The last deer I killed with a 6 cylinder was in my F150 with a straight 6. Does that count?
Sure it does,

Last one I killed was with a big Bore F250 V10, it was last day of season and I was on way home and this dinky thing ran out of cornfield, bashed into side of bumper,and busted it's neck i doubt I was going 25 mph ,left a few hairs in plastic bumper trim.

Attachments

• KIMG0635.JPG
    KIMG0635.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0636.JPG
    KIMG0636.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Is it ok to use FFg black in a .45 caplock? I have plenty and don't want to pay shipping on a new order. Anyone tried it? I always shot FFg in my .50cal.
As others have posted - yes - it will work. 3F burns faster than 2F. Expect differences in velocity and accuracy. It's the pressure curve of the different powders.

Latest posts

Back