• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FFg in Cal. .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolkentanz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

did anyone use FFg in Cal. 36 (twist 1:48) Green Mountain barrel (42 inch barrel length)?

Till now I have used 28 grn FFFg Swiss and noticed flyers. My impression (or better to say concern) is that in fast twist rifles the FFFg might be to fast.

Best regards !

As for twist rates relative to bore size, 1:48 is actually pretty slow. Not in a flinter, but in a capper I tried some Goex 2f just cuzz. My impression is.............. Nah. I didn't push it up to max, but I bet you'd have to be way up there to have any hopes of cleaning up the burn. At 40 grains and below, it was a nasty fouler.

I barely speak "flinteze," but with cappers anyway, I first suspect patch or lube failures when I see fliers. Have you been inspecting your patches after each shot? I bet that if you're only having a few fliers, you'll find they occur just before you find a failed patch on the ground out in front of you.

The smaller bored guns often have a faster twist, I would try 1 1/2 calibers of 3f with a snug patch,most small bore shooters I know use 3f and have god luck if all else is in place.

Check your patches. Torn patches is the main reason for flyers, not powder charges. Stick with FFFg in that .36. About the only way I know to improve the burning characteristics of FFg powder in such a small bore is to use conicals, or use a tight OP wad( Over Powder Wad)to increase the mass being pushed by the powder. This increases chamber pressure before the light weight ball and patch begin to move forward, and the increased pressure, even for a millisecond, contributes to better burning of the larger grains of powder.

Also, if you are going to shoot FFg in a .36, screen the powder. You can buy screening from McMasters.com at a reasonable price, and find needle point hoops at hobby stores that you can attach the screen to to sift your powder. Screened powder does seem to burn better, and in my experience, you get fewer clinkers in the powder residue in your barrel shooting screened powder. McMasters sell s 24 grid mesh ( 24 wires per inch) for less than $10. 24 mesh is the smallest size that FFg should not pass through. The largest is 16 mesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any 1:48" twist barrels but still think the best powder granulation would be 3fg for that configuration.

Hello all,

thank you for the advice. I will stuck with the FFFg powder.

Yesterday I measured my balls. The mold is signed 0.354. But the bullets I cast out of this mold are 0.352. With this 0.352 RB I used a 0.0165 patch. Moreover I measured the barrel which is 0.360 - 0.361 (not so easy to measure).

Is it right that Green Mountain suggest for target loads 0.360 RB and 0.355 RB for hunting ?

I guess that my balls are to small. I trusted the print on the mold that my RB are min. 0.354.

Thanks a bunch in advance !

Are you casting balls, or buying 000 lead shot to shoot? I don't think you are using too small a diameter ball. YOU can play around a bit( that means to do some experimentation) with different thicknesses of patching, and different lubes, to find out what works best in your gun.

For the very best accuracy, most target shooters will use the larger, bore diameter lead balls, and a thin patch, usually lubed with Teflon, and a stout blow with their short starter to seat the ball. The ball elongates ever so little, but that improves its flight characteristics, and therefore its accuracy.

For general shooting, and hunting squirrels or small game out to 35 yards, the smaller- .350 diameter ball and a thicker patch works just fine. Try .010"- .015" patching with your .354" ball. If you find some .005" patches, try them, too. 20-40 grains of FFFg powder is pretty much the range of powder charges used in those wonderful small caliber guns, so you don't normally have to worry about Gas tearing the patches. If you find torn patches, its almost always due to some roughness in the barrel, and not the powder charge, or the thickness of the patch.

Personally, I think a .010' or .012" thick patch will work better for you with that ball than the thicker patch you are using. But, my opinion is based on my own experience, with a GM barrel, and after observing and talking to many other shooters who come out to the club range with the light caliber rifles, to kick butt at the club shoots. The only threat they normally face is from the one or two guys who shoot .32 caliber rifles!

I like to be able to start the PRB into the muzzle with thumb pressure. I have used a short starter for years, and find it annoying when a pre-cut patch catches and rolls the ball as I give the short starter a sharp whack, giving me an off-center patch and ball. When I can seat the ball with my thumb, I can " feel " the ball center in the patch properly.

This may require some work on the barrel's crown, but the end result gives me greater confidence. Done correctly, rounding the crown or even coning the bore does not diminish accuracy at all.

If you are using a short starter, make sure that the face of the jag is concave to match the Shape of the ball, so it does not misshape the lead ball when you seat the ball in the muzzle.

Oh, my reason for asking about the cast ball, is that if you buy your 000 shot as a cheap source of balls, rather than cast your own, you may not get exactly pure lead. That can explain the slight increase in diameter from a true .350. Test your lead for hardness. It should be down around 5-7 BHn if its pure lead. If you cast your own, you know what kind of lead is going into the casting, and you can control the weight, and softness of the ball much better. With that, you also get consistency in diameters.

At .352", I would not spend a lot of time or money worrying about hardness. Any given mold can give you that kind of variation in diameter. But, do check your lead for purity.

I do like to use my calipers to check the diameters of a dozen or more balls from any lot of balls I buy, just to see the range in sizes. If I find a range of more than .005", I put the balls on a scale to check the variations in weight. I don't like to see a variation of more than 1% of the total weight of the ball in those small balls.

I don't throw the rejects away- instead, they are used for casual plinking sessions or short range shooting at rabbits or squirrels, or varmints. But for target work, I don't want flyers I can't explain, so I sort the balls, by weigh and by diameter.

You also need to set aside wrinkled castings, or those with large sprues. The Sprues can be filed off, or, perhaps better, put those balls in a case tumbler, without the medium, and let them bang against each other for an hour. That usually will remove the sprue and round the balls to a consistent diameter.

Wrinkles come about because the mold or lead is not hot enough when the two meet. Keep the mold hot, and keep it close to the melting pot when you go to pour the lead into the mold, particularly if you use the open top/dipper method of casting. Don't let that dipper get cold, either. Leave it in the lead in the pot while you cool and open the mold to remove a casting. The presense of wrinkles on a small ball may cause flyers, also.

This is a lot of information, but I hope it helps you find out what your problem is. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back