• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber Optic front sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newkid

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this may be blasphamy, but because of my deteriating sight, I'm considering putting TC's red fiber optic sight on my Renegade. I use TC's hunter peep for the rear sight. Any thoughts or experiances?

Thanks

I've got the combo of TCs hunter peep and a FO front on a couple of guns, and my wife has it on her Lyman Deerstalker 54 cal. For aging eyes they're hard to beat in certain lighting conditions. In other lighting conditions you don't really see the glow, but the the sights are still quite useable. My wife would KILL me if I took them off her Deerstalker or any of her cartridge guns. I figure if such sights let me keep shooting, folks that criticize me for using them aren't worth my time of day. If being "proper" stops me from shooting, then they are spending way too much time looking at my guns and not enough time shooting their own.

BTW- Lots of different solvents and even some hi tech lubes will dull the glow of FO sights. If you feel you need the glow, better be real careful what you get on them unless you like buying replacements.

I picked up some white paint that glows in the dark. It picks up light, I just put a small dot on the front sight. Works ok for me. At least for now, my eyes are aging too. :wink:

Actually I do something similar, but with plain old white out. Our lighting conditions vary dramatically in the same day, whether from moving through different types of terrain or sudden weather changes. There's no single front sight that's ideal for all. Keeping a bottle of WO in the possibles bag lets me change to white when conditions call for it, then flake it off with my thumbnail when white's not right.

Hadn't thought of the glo paint. Wonder if they make glow whiteout?

"I know this may be blasphamy, you have to do what you have to do to stay in the game..I don't think anyone would fault a person for using modern peeps and FO sights due to poor eyesight, if someone with good eyesight uses the stuff just for an advantage over the primitive type, it is likely a sign of not being "into" the spirit of things, but is the right of the individual to use whatever is leagal, the main thing is not to try and "talk" new stuff into the realm of HC/PC, just accept that is isn't and have fun.Good luck finding a system that keeps you shooting.

I shoot with whatever sights I can see!!!
and don't care what anyone thinks!!

My new FO front site should be here by the end of the week. I'm curious to see two things. First, how visible it is compared to my previous blade front with a dab of flouresent yellow jig paint on it? Second, will it noticeably effect my accuracy inside a hundred yards? I know several times, while hunting last year, I was somewhat surprised at how quickly the yellow painted blade turned black in appearance as the sun set.

I swapped out the sights on a TC Hawkens with TC's FO sights - red dot in front and two green dots in rear. Replaced the original sights with no modifications needed. Wow - did they make a big improvement. They kind of glow. I have used hunter orange paint on the front sight, but the FO is MUCH better. I'm not hung up on being PC.

Billygoat's comment about glow paint got me thinking. Always a dangerous thing.....

My problem with paint in general is that all I have tried on sights flake easily. Kind of a PITA to keep applying it.

Finally occurred to me that I've probably already got the solution in my fishing setup. I have a bunch of colors of powder coat that I use to "paint" the heads of jigs I cast. It lasts longer than my jigs, even when I'm banging them around in the rocks and subjecting them to halibut teeth.

All ya gotta do is slosh a new, hot jig head around in the dry powder, and it melts a coating onto it. You can do up a batch of cold jigs too, just by hitting them briefly with a propane torch. Not much heat at all really.

Should work just fine for applying to a sight bead or blade. And one little jug for around $10 would be enough to do every sight in Alaska. Sure beats the price of FO sights.

And it comes in glow colors.

Hmmm.

Tests and reports are in order.

Here is a pretty good description of how it works. Looks like 350 degrees is the recommended temp. Note the list of glow colors down at the lower right. And like I said, a $5 bottle is enough to do all the sights in Alaska, I bet. A little goes a real long ways.

"I shoot with whatever sights I can see!!!
and don't care what anyone thinks!! "

Good for you, I doubt that anyone cares that you don't care what anybody thinks!

I installed the TC FO front sight yesterday and tried it at the range. I was surprised that the bead actually appeared smaller then the original steel blade with the bead on top. Even though it's smaller, I believe it will be easier to see in low light conditions. First range trip was a success and so far I'm opptimistic that this will aid my sighting.

Keep us posted Snuffer. I'm hoping it works well for you and keeps you in the game. Just watch out for those solvents if you really need the glow. I didn't fully realize how much my two had dulled till I got my wife her Deerstalker. Looks like a stoplight out there on the barrel, compared to mine that are a couple of years old. Mine still glow in direct sunlight, but are virtually black in low light. Still pretty useable due to the small size you point out, though. I'm thinking of experimenting with simply reducing the sight size on another gun right now rather than switching. Always trying to keep an open mind, donchaknow.

snuffer said:
I know this may be blasphamy, but because of my deteriating sight, I'm considering putting TC's red fiber optic sight on my Renegade. I use TC's hunter peep for the rear sight. Any thoughts or experiances?

Thanks

Here in Oregon you cant hunt w/ Fiber Optics so I have been looking for the best opportunity on a beed or blade front sight. The other day I found a F.O. front sight on sale that would fit the Renegade and had a thought.....I removed the plastic F.O. piece, filed the little tabs down flush, and ended up with the best to date / proper hight front sight that I have had on the gun so far. Nice thin blade that screwed right in. Best grps to date as well being as I can see more of the target around the front sight.

Although it isn't as good as fiber optics you can go to a Hobby Shop and buy a bottle of Testers Pla paint in Fluorescent Orange. It's made for model cars and such.

Anyway, this paint does fluoresce from the Ultra Violet light outside (and to a lesser extent inside) making it "glow" even in fairly low light conditions.
It isn't Fiber Optics so it won't violate the law.

I used this paint on my High Standard Trophy back in the days when I was competing and it does make the front sight stand out very clearly.

If you try this, just paint a very small area on the back side at the top of your front sight.

For a buck or so it is cheap and if you don't like it you can always scrape it off.
:hatsoff:

Back