• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber Optic Sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Trap

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my new GPR and have shot it some, but I'm getting old, or at least that is what my wife says. :yakyak: Had looked at getting the fiber optic sights for the GPR by Lyman, and wanted to see if anybody uses these at all for hunting. I know its not traditional, but wanted to check with you guys/gals before doing it.

I've used fiber optic sights on modern guns a few times. They draw your eye to the sight a little faster, but they don't really make it any easier to focus on it. I did pick up a tip from the folks here that may be of benefit to you though. If you move your rear sight forward some, it really helps older eyes get a clearer picture. I have done that on 2 of my muzzleloaders so far and it really works wonders.

I have a CVA with fiber optic sights and I really hate them darn things. The plastic just looks wrong for one thing. The other thing is that they don't stay put. They slide around in the mounts. :cursing:

I didn't care for the stock adjustable rear sight on the GPRs either. It was kind of sloppy and I didn't really like the sight picture. Last fall I finally got around to installing the fixed rear sight and wish I'd done it from the start. You might want to try it. The fixed sight stays put, has a wider notch that lets in more light on the sides, no horns poking up either, just a much better sight picture for me. YMMV.

Jethro224 said:
I didn't care for the stock adjustable rear sight on the GPRs either. It was kind of sloppy and I didn't really like the sight picture. Last fall I finally got around to installing the fixed rear sight and wish I'd done it from the start. You might want to try it. The fixed sight stays put, has a wider notch that lets in more light on the sides, no horns poking up either, just a much better sight picture for me. YMMV.

Mine is exactly the opposite. I would rather use the fixed rear sight on my GPR, but it is so loose in the dovetail, I'm not even sure if it would stay in place if I peened the dovetail with a punch.

fyrfyter43 said:
Mine is exactly the opposite. I would rather use the fixed rear sight on my GPR, but it is so loose in the dovetail, I'm not even sure if it would stay in place if I peened the dovetail with a punch.

I did peen my dovetail... with a hammer. :shocked2:

Seriously. I had read about shimming and it seemed like a lot of hassle. Once the primitive sight was on I intended it to stay on, so I took a little 8oz ball-peen hammer and set the ball end in the dovetail and just tapped on it with a little bigger hammer to tighten up the slots enough to hold the sight. Careful, it doesn't take much.
The base of the sight covers any visible signs of the peening and my primitive sight hasn't moved since I sighted in. :thumbsup:

There are a variety of fiber optics out there, some good, and some not so good. All help you find that front sight in a hurry. However, those that have a plastic pill or tube mounted on a sight post then to have "blurry" edges to them when you look through your rear sight.

There are some fiber optic sights that are mounted INSIDE a metal tube. The Tube provides a clear edge to the sight, making it much better for hunting, and shooting in general.

It does require a bit of mental adjustment to use these things when you have been shooting a "blade" front sight for many years. The fiber optics, no matter what size, seem HUGE at first. The smaller they are physically, the better the accuracy you will have using them.

The biggest decision you will need to make is the choice of color of the sight. They come in green, yellow, orange, red, and some even in blue. I suggest green, as it seems to be the easiest on my eyes, yet clearly contrasts against both black and white targets, and against the brown coats of deer and other animals. I have not yet found a green in nature that is exactly the same hue as the green on the small optic sights. I have shot Orange optic sights, on my shotgun, and that is how I learned- the hard way--- about " fuzzy " edges. :shocked2: :hmm: :thumbsup:

It was the sights made by Lyman specifically for GPR. Green on rear and red on front.

I don't care for the green/red combinations. The fuzzy areas on both are HUGE, and together they are very difficult to use to get fine accuracy. Try the sights off a bench rest, and see how they work for you. Your experience may be different than my own.

Check out catalogs like Cabelas, and Brownells to see the variety of colored fiber optic sights now available.

Joe Mandt said:
if you want to stay traditional, how about a nice ivory or gold bead?
Traditional is alright but for functionality I installed Williams Firesights on my New Englander and love em!Sure I look like a Christmas tree in the Fog with them a glowing but they sure bought me more shooting time in the Dark pine woods of NS.

Bob,
You don't say and I don't know your age,but
IMHO I would use whatever site it took to
keep you shooting a traditional firearm.I am close to 64(real close,to tell the truth) :hmm:
My eyes have gone down hill since about 55.I don't
wear glasses but to read but :( I shoot to within my seeing range.Usually 50yards or less.
Do what you need to do to keep shooting.
snake-eyes

I'm 64 and have sight clarity problems as well. On my GPR and most of my other guns I've gone to fiber optic (red) front sights, and a T/C peep sight. The T/C peep fits just fine with no drilling or tapping. I had some difficulty with the green front sight and switched to red due to my inability to see the green bead in low light conditions against green foliage. If you go with the fiber optic sights just be careful about keeping cleaning solvents away from the fiber optic as it will in some conditions "kill" the fiber optic capabilities.

Fiber optics and a peep site will keep me shooting for an extra 10 years.

My gun, my way - Don't really care what anybody thinks - I just keep shooting.

One of my rifles has an ivory or bone blade for a front sight. It shows up well in low light conditions such as when hunting in a forested area--it's almost like it glows. I'm thinking about making some for my other rifles. I wear glasses and need them for distance work, and this sight makes life a lot easier for me.

Latest posts

Back