• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fiber Wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best wads I have ever used are 3/8" felt wads. Lube them how ever you please and enjoy fantastic results. :thumbsup: Again, Circle Fly sells them.

circle fly felt wads for lead...plastic shot cups for non-toxic's
stiff brown -over powder cards-(nitro)
felt wads did not dougnut my patterns.

You have to remember, your breech loader very likely has restriction type of chokes. That will slow that cushion down enough to let the shot get there much quicker. Even if you don't pattern your gun, a walk in front of the trap house will show you where the cushions are falling. Now, back to chokes, I don't have a muzzleloader shotgun that is choked, they are all cyl. bored. But, if you do get to pattern your ML'ing shotguns, I sure have seen donut patterns that taught me how to change the way I cushioned/lubed a barrel and also the amounts of shot and powder.

It would be really neat if someone who does all of the photography of the projectiles leaving a barrel in slow motion could video the shot/wads leaving the barrel in a cylinder bore.

When T.C brought out there New Englander 12 cylinder bore in the 80's they recommended two cushion wads under the shot and one over. I used this combo for years with the 100 grain setting for 2f powder and shot............Killed a lot of squirrils.............Missed a lot also. Maybe my misses were caused by these wads. But I used to look for these wads on the ground occasionally and it seemed like most of the time the lubed wads were disintigrating during there trip down the barrel probably from the heavy powder/load.......................Bob

makeumsmoke said:
circle fly felt wads for lead...plastic shot cups for non-toxic's

If you wish to shoot non-toxic shot without the plastic, both bismuth shot and Ecotungsten / Nice-Shot are available but as expensive as other non-steel non-toxics, and a number of us have used them successfully.

Regards,
Joel

Mike Brooks said:
All depends on the gun, some guns will shoot them and some won't. I'd probably never use them for over shot wads. and I'd probably never use them with out a nitro card over the powder. I use fiber wads to mainly carry lube.;

Ditto on that, I do the same.

TANSTAAFL said:
Mike Brooks said:
All depends on the gun, some guns will shoot them and some won't. I'd probably never use them for over shot wads. and I'd probably never use them with out a nitro card over the powder. I use fiber wads to mainly carry lube.;

Ditto on that, I do the same.

Me too! When it gets really dry, I've been known to use two pre-lubed wads. Next shot loads easier too :thumbsup:

Dave

i also use 1 nitro overpowder, 1/2 fiber wad lubed with crisco and the excess sqeezed out, then shot and over shot card. the patterns are great, never had a problem with donuting. at first i tried just a dry cushion, then shot and then overshot card, absolutly aweful patterns, way too blown. i have had good luck with just a nitro card but only for a shot or two, then it becomes a little too difficult to load. good luck and FYI fowler is jug choked too.

Back