• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fifteen yrds and closing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmtnboy

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Was out muzzlestuffing for elk this weekend when I found somthing elce to sneek in on and shoot....
with my camera :grin:
Not a bad CO Bull

DSCF2636.jpg

DSCF2650.jpg

DSCF2638.jpg

Those are terrific tines on the paddles. They make quite a basket of the rack, looking to my eyes a lot better than wide, flat racks. With lots more spread, this guy would be spectacular.

He's a pritty decent CO Bull not very wide as compaired to one of your Bulls up in AK but a beautful animal all the same.
:thumbsup:

Yeah, I spend a lot of time in CO, too, and he's better than most I've seen there, but not as wide as some I've seen in Wyoming and Montana. The ones I remember most were exceptional rather than standard, though. Lots more spread on big Yukon moose compared to Shiras, but it's rare to see such great long tines on the Yukon. I'll take form like this over massive horns with short tines any day.

a beautiful animal. nearly as impressive as the rack is that set of ears! do male moose have a sort of 'beard' hanging down off the neck near the jaw hinge?
I came unexpectedly upon a large male in Maine just as I got to the opposite side of a river I had to cross (swam it) on the AT in 1974. it glanced at me for a moment then ambled away into the bush.

:thumbsup: Nice pics!

It must be awesome to get in close to a wild animal that large.

He's a LOT bigger than anything I've seen in Maryland, and suddenly my local sika seem very tiny. :wink: Awesome pics!

Blizzard of 93 said:
a beautiful animal. nearly as impressive as the rack is that set of ears! do male moose have a sort of 'beard' hanging down off the neck near the jaw hinge?

That "Flap" of Hide is called the "Bell".Not sure of it's purpose though but that is what it's called.

Greenmtnboy:

Nice pictures, it is truly a thrill to get close to wild game.

I remember a time in Canada, when on a cable project we happened upon cow and her calf.

I had a difficult time convincing one of the crew to quickly get up on a nearby 8' granite outcropping until they moved on.

Since she was coming toward us, he thought he could just stay there and get some really close-up photos.

I finally convinced him that she intended to "tap dance" on him until he was totally toast. Fortunately she wasn't quite able to get up on our rock, still resulting in a closer encounter that he wanted.

Osage

Here are a couple of pics I took in New Hampshire about 15 years ago. The moose come right up to the edge of the road and don't appear to alarmed by people, cautious, but not alarmed. I got to within about 30 feet of this big fella and took a bunch of pics of him. They are magnificient creatures.

moose0001.jpg

Blizzard of 93 said:
good veiw of the beard or 'bell', flap of skin? rugged looking critter.

Not entirely positive, but I think that is a musk gland, and has a purpose during mating season.

Compared to our little and filigran roes it is a real monster! :rotf:

Nice pics! thanks! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

What I found amazing is how quiet an animal that large can be. I ran up on a 900 lb. bull while hunting snowshoes in Vermont's kingdom once. We watched each other from about 30 yds for about 10 mins. and when he had enough, he just turned around and walked away. Right through a cedar swamp and barely heard a twig snap, horns and all.

Nice lil' Bull.Once in awhile here where I live there will be a bull hanging around that you can usually get close to_One a couple of years ago there was a large bull that came out to a guys Cow Pasture and hung around for a few days.It was said he had a romantic interest in the Guys cow that was in heat.It was this time of year(The rut is starting up here).

Back