• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fifty Years Ago

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanshi

Cannon
Reaction score
Ratty, yes. Since I saw the other great thread on a recent cat kill I thought I'd try and finally post what I had left.

I killed two of them from the same deer stand a few days apart. No camera and I skinned them myself. My dog chewed up one of them and not much is left of this one. I still use it as a cover over a foot locker. It is falling away bit by bit but what do you expect after half a century.

I killed it with my first muzzleloader, an H&A underhammer .45. This rifle went on to kill deer and squirrels. It still fires and is super accurate but age has made the half cock unsafe. The fore end finally split several years ago and was repaired. I removed it entirely last year.

The farm in Ga where I hunted deer had a heavy population of bobcats, and coyotes. I saw plenty of both. A friend shot another young one there but other than deer and squirrels I only shot one of the coyotes and didn't bother the cats.

Nice bobcat. I miss a chance at one last year thinking I might get him in a little closer. They are smart. :hatsoff:

Hanshi, I remember those under hammer H.&A. from the 70's, nice light rifle in .45...but can't remember how they worked, I know the hammer uses the trigger guard as a spring, but looking at yours I see the hammer isn't resting on the nipple. So how does it fire the cap, maybe the head on the hammer swivels? :hmm: By the way...nice cat! :v

Kodiak, the little "button" that appears to be the nipple is actually a stud I installed long ago as a stop for the ramrod. The hammer is on the nipple which is hidden by a brass flash cup. If I can ever get the gun to working correctly I'll put the fore end back on and the rr thimble.

Back