• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Figured out what my rifle likes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longrifle89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a 4-shot 50 yard rested group with my .54 TVM Early Virginia with a 42" swamped barrel. Load was .530" ball, .018" patch lubed with spit, and 75 grains of FFFg powder. The shot at the top was a bad one that was my fault and I called.

299394_2059477295074_1488900272_31943524_2359701_n.jpg

Didn't take a picture yet, but the 100 yd target has a 5-shot group that fits into a 4 1/4" by 3" rectangle, same load and rested. Also, the 50 yard group before this one was the exact same load, but with FFg powder instead of FFFg. A three shot group made an equilateral triangle with sides of two inches. I never would have thought powder granulation could make such a huge difference.

Nice group Longrifle - Just curious - what's rate of twist in that tube?

You gonna keep playin' with loads?

Eric

Yea, Yea, We gotcha, nice groups for a 21 year old, you can still see good :thumbsup: , try it when when yer 50 and the rear sights are blurring out and anything past 75 yrds is almost an indistint blur. And thats with glasses! But that is realy a good group. Post some pics of that 100yrd group and you'll really get us old folks going :haha: looks like ya got your load already figured out to me.

armakiller said:
Yea, Yea, We gotcha, nice groups for a 21 year old, you can still see good :thumbsup: , try it when when yer 50 and the rear sights are blurring out and anything past 75 yrds is almost an indistint blur. And thats with glasses! But that is realy a good group. Post some pics of that 100yrd group and you'll really get us old folks going :haha: looks like ya got your load already figured out to me.

What he said! :surrender: Good shootin. :thumbsup:

armakiller said:
I hear you there :(

where are they hitting the target at 100 yards? must be close to the x ring, yes?

Good shootin'! I wonder if 85-90 grains of 2f wouldn't do as well? Not that you need to change, but a 10 to 15% increase in 2f might give similar results...it works in my 42" swamped GM .54

My rifle likes another shooter but what can I do :idunno: ?

That group is excellent so obviously you're on to something.

I measured the center of the group at 100yds to be about 1.5" high and 2 1/8" left of the bull. This put it 1 5/8" below the tight 50 yard group.

I was expecting more drop than that at 100 yards; I'm not overly concerned, that just extends my point blank range. The sun was very much in my face for that 100 yard group, with quite a bit of glare on the rear sight. I have more range work yet.

Back