• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More Misfire Issues - Investarms 54 Caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
I continue to fight misfire issues with my 54 caliber. Years ago I switched out the stock nipple for a “Red Hot Nipple” (I think is what it was called) and had even more misfires so went back to the stock nipple.
I noticed the stock nipple hole is off centered. Could this be the cause or any thoughts on why the misfire issues? New Triple 7 and new CCI caps and same issue.

Attachments

• IMG_5526.jpeg
    IMG_5526.jpeg
    854.3 KB · Views: 3
Are you getting the ante chamber clean? The offshore riffles have a patent breach. Your jag will only get so far. Get yourself a 30 caliber nylon brush, and use it and patches to get that clean. Not sure if you are swabbing between shots or not, or how bad triple 7 fouls. If you are swabbing, use a damp patch with Windex, or denatured alcohol, damp not wet, and push the jag down slow, and let it sit on the bottom for a few seconds then pull it up. If you push too fast, you're pushing the fouling into the ante chamber, and that will cause blockage. Don't give up, let us know how it goes.

And totally degreased? No oil in the fire path? Totally cleaned of fouling in the fire path?

Fouling can be hard to diagnose, identify and remove. It absorbs oil and then fouls the fresh charge. It's terrible!

@Turtle2, I've got to agree with the above posts. Misfires are almost always related to an obstruction in the fire channel. A rigorous cleaning of the InvestArms chambered breech is certainly due. Is the percussion cap firing? The caps may be bad. We have seen reports here on the Forum that some of the new CCI caps have been less than reliable. Is the nipple mushroomed at the cone. They are cheap enough to just go ahead and change it out. The other cause is associated with synthetic powders that are safe to use and available but require a much higher ignition temperature. The high ignition temperature coupled with a tortuous path from the nipple seat and a possible fouling in the chambered breech make reliable ignition a challenge. Rarely, there will be shards of metal left in the flash channel causing a partial blockage.

Now, I believe that the InvestArms rifle will have a hooked breech. The barrel can be removed for a vigorous flushing of the barrel and breech. Still the chambered breech needs to be verified clear.

I would not use the nipple pictured regardless if it was new. The off center hole indicates poor quality and should be replaced! Plus all that has been suggested above.

The cleanout screw will block the nipple if it is screwed in first on my investarms.
Pull it screw the nipple in first then the cleanout last.

try real black powder…. 777 is hard to set off
The powder isn’t the issue here. I’ve fired many shots out of my GPR with 777 and various #11 caps and never had an issue igniting it. This includes days of being loaded in hunting situations. With a properly cleaned gun, it’s not hard to set off at all. Seems like there is a fouling or obstruction issue as others have described. I do shoot real black powder out of my flintlock.

turtle2, are the caps going off each time but not the charge? Other than what others have said, which are likely solutions, consider:
Bad CCI caps. It happened to me. CCI had a few specific lots that did not dry/cure properly. If it takes a few hits to get the cap to go off, contact CCI with the lot number and they’ll refund.
Flared nipple from repeated use has made it difficult to get the cap to seat but not sure it would keep it from going off.
Put the factory (or new OEM) nipple back on. I tried a white hot and had better results with the factory nipple.
If you use anti seize grease on the nipple threads, be very careful not to use get any near the hole on the bottom of the nipple.
Clean the flash hole well with a small pipe cleaner. I put a slight bend at the end and a little finesse to get it in as far as I can. For the first few, I dip them in blue thunder from October Country, then several dry ones.
Others mentioned it but you need a fouling scraper and jag sized for the patent breech to keep it clean.
Pop several caps on the unloaded gun with some shredded paper, etc. near the muzzle to see if you’re getting movement, e.g. clear path. Always pop a few caps before loading for the first time on an outing.

Latest posts

Back