• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filled a Deer Management Cooperator tag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragnetbill

36 Cal.
Reaction score
On the second afternoon of our Muzzle loader season I returned to the scene of last years failure (shot a handful of white hair off the bottom of a doe at about 75 yards) and sat down. I can hardly believe that I'm going to say this, but I sat on the ground; I must have looked like Hatchet Jack without broke leags and all the ice and frost. Luckily I wasn't there more than ten minutes when this small doe worked her way in eating acorns. I watched her for at least five minutes weighing the pros and cons of taking a young of year animal.
When she worked her way to nearly the same spot as last years doe I took it as a sign of offering for redemption and I decided to shoot.
I hit her high in the left shoulder; the ball passed just above the heart and passed through and out the right side. She turned and went a mere twenty yards.
My rifle for this hunt was a JP McCoy Classic .50. I used a .490 patched round ball in front of 65 grains of 3f. 20211204_163707.jpg

A hunt well executed with a beautiful long rifle expertly used. Funny how past mistakes can learn us lessons for future endeavors. I've been educated the same way and it is satisfying to right a wrong. A few need corrected from missed opportunities that transpired in last week's gun season for me.

When I switched over from decades of conical slug shooting to PRB's in the 50 caliber rifles I tried my tried and true load of 65 grains of fffg and found that it was/is a perfect combination with both types of projectiles.

Happy for your success and thanks for sharing with us.

The management of the herd requires reductions in all deer except
spotted fawns. The problem is the deer population is exploding
at a time when hunting has declined. Great doe! Good skill.

I can hardly believe that I'm going to say this, but I sat on the ground

First congratulations on a fine kill. Fawns may be smaller, but the meat is exceptional and when taken with primitive equipment the experience is as well. :thumb:

The older I get, the more I like getting back on the ground. When I started hunting, treestands where not the "necessity" many think them to be today. I carry my light and low turkey chair and sit on the ground as much as I can. I haven't completely forsaken treestands, but sitting on the ground makes things especially special for me. Nothing like being eye-to-eye.

So, a little after story to this hunt; besides redemption this hunt revealed another aspect of good luck; during cleanup the lock on my rifle quit holding at full cock. I suspected the triggers and thought I had solved the problem by shimming the trigger plate with a tooth pick. After the shim was in place I cocked the lock and it held....bingo.....luckily I decided to check it further; I put a little moderate forward pressure on the hammer and it didn't hold. I removed the lock still thinking that the trigger placement was the issue, but, it wouldn't hold out of the stock in either half or full cock when a little pressure was applied to the hammer. I broke into a little cold sweat thinking about the possibility that my rifle could have gone off unintentionally sometime during the two and half days that I hunted with her.
My first thought was to try to fix this problem myself, but, I must admit that (in this case) I surrendered my cheapskate man card. The lock is an L&R #300 and after looking at L&R's web site and seeing that they would service it for $15 plus parts and shipping I boxed it up and sent it on its way to SC.
Tracking showed that it arrived at L&R on Friday the 17th; it was back home Yesterday the 23rd, sporting a new sear and tumbler. Billing showed the work done on the 20th. Great turnaround time from L&R especially at this time of year.
Merry Christmas to all.
db

So, a little after story to this hunt; besides redemption this hunt revealed another aspect of good luck; during cleanup the lock on my rifle quit holding at full cock. I suspected the triggers and thought I had solved the problem by shimming the trigger plate with a tooth pick. After the shim was in place I cocked the lock and it held....bingo.....luckily I decided to check it further; I put a little moderate forward pressure on the hammer and it didn't hold. I removed the lock still thinking that the trigger placement was the issue, but, it wouldn't hold out of the stock in either half or full cock when a little pressure was applied to the hammer. I broke into a little cold sweat thinking about the possibility that my rifle could have gone off unintentionally sometime during the two and half days that I hunted with her.
My first thought was to try to fix this problem myself, but, I must admit that (in this case) I surrendered my cheapskate man card. The lock is an L&R #300 and after looking at L&R's web site and seeing that they would service it for $15 plus parts and shipping I boxed it up and sent it on its way to SC.
Tracking showed that it arrived at L&R on Friday the 17th; it was back home Yesterday the 23rd, sporting a new sear and tumbler. Billing showed the work done on the 20th. Great turnaround time from L&R especially at this time of year.
Merry Christmas to all.
db
L&R gave you a great Christmas gift :thumb: Dale

Back