• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filling knot hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm currently shaping a walnut stock from a blank and ran into a small knot that passes all the way through the butt section. It didn't appear until I was about finish shaping the butt. It looks pretty solid, but there is about a 1/16" long check in the knot on both sides of the stock. Should I try to fill it with something? If so, what should I use?

smallknot.jpg

I have a rifle with a burl figure stock and it's had a small check since it was built years ago. The check hasn't grown at all, and I've been told this is common in walnut with figure, so you may be O.K.

Was it mike brooks or roy that used a piece of scrap from the plank to patch a worm whole? Either way they used a piece of wood from scrap that was cut off the plank and then basically inlet it over the worm whole making sure the grain matched up and you can't even tell what happened.

what you can do is take a syringe and put some epoxy in it and inject it in the knot, just put it in the middle then fill the outside with putty of your choice.
or just put some putty in it.
but on the other hand some knots give character to a project. I do some woodworking and tend to like some knots to show.

I don't mind the knot; that just gives it character. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to get a smooth finish as is. I was thinking about filling it with some Acraglas died dark brown, but wanted to see what others thought.

I saw a modern stock that was completely shattered at the wrist that was repaired with Acraglas. You couldn't hardly tell that it had been repaired.

a dab of super glue and then sand over it, then a dab of super glue and sand over it, keep doing this until it is full, and the sanding will of course match the stock as it is stock saw dust you are putting in the check. Medium to fine grit paper works the best.
If you look to the forward area below the cheek piece(right below the lighting reflection) you can see a little cluster of Knots, they were all just super glued and sanded.
Picture0143.jpg

C

That itty bitty little knot? I wouldn't worry about it. (When you have to use a big black arrow to point it out, it ain't a big deal! :grin: ) At most, I'd do what the cowboy says, put some crazy glue in it. Be careful to not get the glue anywhere on the surface of the stock, because it will soak in and prevent your finish from penetrating the wood, and it will sure show. :wink:

Is that something French?

Man, you ought to see some European guns. FULL of knots and little slips of wood in an attempt to fill knots and cracks.

In my book, there are two kinds of knots. If you can see black bark, you have a problem. If there is not bark, no problem. It should not loosen.

You see little knots like that on the Brit guns fairly often. Since yours goes way in, it will never loosen. I would just fill it with whatever finish you use. After a few coats, put a dolop of finish on a paper plate and let it start to gel a bit. Then put it on over the knot with a spatula, or even a knife made from paper plate. If it is really deep, build it up in several coats. Sand smooth, and continue finishing the stock.
:v

By it's looks I don't think you got any problem but, if your worried. Go to Wallyworld and get some 2part expoxy. Devcon 30 min. Mix it and add some sanding dust off of the wood and fill the knot. I have done this when finishing Red Oak and much larger knots. when totaly dry it will sand down, on large ones up to dime size I let stand at least 24 hrs. before sanding. It will look like a burl in the wood but no voids and its solid as a rock.

Yep super glue... if you are going to use stain for some odd reason, do that before the glue..

I am basically a knife maker that does the occasional muzzle loader. On knife handles exotic woods are used that are seldom stained so I used the super glue. I think super glue is the standard way to treat the problem. Although the glue sets quickly I give it about 45 minutes between sanding to play it safe. You can lightly sand the area and leave some dust in the void before dropping the glue in the void. Do several coats, not one big thick coat. Sanding- use a block or, and I prefer- a scraper.
My recommendation, find some scrap wood with a similar problem and practice on that.
If you stain the stock then you bring in other problems. The area to be glued must be stained first but in subsequent scraping/sanding the surrounding area may lighten a bit and require a little re-staining. Like I said, practice on some scrap wood to see what works best for you.

bioprof

IMHO
I would use Acraglas and I would stain it black.
Or I would just use your stock finish.

Super glue, in my experience will crumble in five to ten
years.
30 min. epoxy can get rubbery when around gun oil.

Tinker2

Nothing to be sorry about, I just didn't know if the question was directed at me or him.

C

Stophel said:
Terribly sorry, I mean the gun that Bioprof is doing.

Sorry for the slow reply. The stock is on a snaphaunce. I patterned it after a carbine that I saw on the internet which I can no longer find. It is turning out to look somewhat French, but I'm not really trying to copy anything exactly.

I like the idea of using Acraglas or epoxy because I can color it to match the stock. I sanded the knots down some more, and they seem to be getting smaller, but I think I'll still put a dab on it so I'll have a nice smooth surface to apply the finish.

BTW, I'm not planning on staining it. The wood already has a lot of color to it.

Here's a picture of what I have done so far. It still is a work in progress.
snaphauncelockpanels.jpg

Hopefully, it doesn't look like it's turning into an abomination.

Latest posts

Back