• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filling The Powder Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to have one, where the plug would unscrew. I know have a couple that don't do that! What is the way you folks fill them up?

I did make a homemade paper funnel that does work, but takes quite a long time!

MB

Track sells brass plugs and bushings for horns. Maybe you can install them on your horns?

HD

I'm with Dawg..the two or three I've made without screw in brass plugs happen to belong to family members, and half the time, maybe more, I'm the one stuck with filling them..when I first started muzzleloading, I bought a horn, the only one I have ever bought, and it had a wooden screw in plug...I might go to one of the woodworker catalogs and see what tools they have for tapping and threading wood...I hate using the paper filler I fold ...Hank

I had the brass strap break on one of those adjustable powder measures with the funnel. I use that funnel to fill the one powder horn I have that doesn't have a threaded plug. It takes a little while to fill because it takes the powder some time to flow through that little hole. Beats the little paper cones I make to fill some of my priming horns.

I hated that fumbling with paper funnels also, and finaly made a rather handy funnel from the tip of a cowhorn. It was a horn with thin wall that was almost hollow 'till the tip. Sawed of the tip, drilled a small but convenient hole and hollowed and smoothed out a little bit on the inside. Works great! :)

ask your doctor for one of those little funnel shaped things that he looks in you ear with, they work well.

Here's a few of my spouts...made from blanks from a (my issued) M-14 back in the day.
R
211m4ch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most the time, I just take out the stopper and grip tightly around the horn opening and slowly pour. Another handy thing to do, is take a cap from an old powder can and drill a hole in the center. Now take a modern brass rifle or pistol cartridge case (I used a .223 cal) and cut the base off and solder it onto the can cap. Then all you have to do when you fill your powder horn or flasks, is to screw on your funnel cap and pour away! You actually will need two caps. One for the Cap Funnel and one to seal your powder can. I think TOW and a few traders sell these, but this is a little fun project and easy to make!

Foot note: You don't need a cartridge case that will go inside your powder horn spout hole. Just hold the powder can with the Funnel Cap tightly against the spout hole and use your finger grip around the hole to keep from spilling powder!

Good luck!.... :thumbsup:

I also use a cap with a cartage sodered in it then take an old spark plug boot pushed over the cartage push the boot over the tip of the horn turn the can up side down and you can hear the powder run in to the horn shake it once in a while till it is full. :v
Ephraim

Try Wallyworld, sports section, more specific (camping). Little funnel they use to fuel the coleman stoves and such. They work great and don't take up too much space either, 2bucks TT&OTD!

I have a brass flask with a spout that just fits the hole on my powder horn. I fill the flask with the easy screw off top then use the flask to fill my horn. Works for me. :thumbsup:

A few years ago I bought a small brass funnel with a spout that fits inside the neck of a powder horn. It is very handy and quick. Can't remember where I got it but was from one of the mail order shops. Maybe someone still sells these.

I fill my horns from the spout, and use a spent casing that I slip over an aluminum funnel.
Scott

Ah ! funnel caps, I've been making and selling them for twenty years. I find it interesting that people will throw away their empty powder cans and caps and then buy a funnel cap.

Back