• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filling The Powder Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gemoke said:
ask your doctor for one of those little funnel shaped things that he looks in you ear with, they work well.

I have a couple of those. They do work great.

HD

RonT said:
Here's a few of my spouts...made from blanks from a (my issued) M-14 back in the day.
R
211m4ch.jpg

I use something similar. A .223 Rem case with the base hacksawed off and soldered to the cap and I cover that when not in use with a 7.62 X 39 case trimmed at the neck so it's just a friction fit over the .223.

I also have one of the little brass funnels and it works pretty well. The spout that fits the can is definately the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohio ramrod said:
Ah ! funnel caps, I've been making and selling them for twenty years. I find it interesting that people will throw away their empty powder cans and caps and then buy a funnel cap.

What does a "Ah funnel caps" go for these days compared to twenty years ago?....Has the high cost of fuel effected the price?.... :haha:

I have a related problem that you old-timers can surely help this greenhorn with. After a few years of not shooting, I took out my equipment and found that the stopper to my horn had broken off. My thought was to push the part that is stuck inside through, since there was no way to get purchse to pull it out. It won't go that way either, at least not by shoving it with a nail. I also tried picking it out with an awl. I have a brand new horn that has an unthreaded stopper that doesn't go all the way into the horn, and is loose enough that it looks like it will just fall out if I fill up the horn. I don't have the equipment to make the threads. Is there a way to rough it up enough to stay in?

"Is there a way to rough it up enough to stay in? "

I have layered epoxy on the plug then sanded it to fit, sometimes it is easier to take a piece of wood, bone, antler and make a new one.You can get one out by drilling a small hole thru then pulling on the bit while putting side pressure on it.

lolasmom said:
I have a brand new horn that has an unthreaded stopper that doesn't go all the way into the horn, and is loose enough that it looks like it will just fall out if I fill up the horn. I don't have the equipment to make the threads. Is there a way to rough it up enough to stay in?

Is that one of the cheap "Made in India"(or Pakistan) horns? I bought one of those when I got started. Biggest waste of $... :cursing: Couldn't even fix it. The big end leaked, the stopper was loose, the pour spout was drilled crooked, and the neck had a crack in it.

Before you try to use it blow in the spout and see how bad the butt end leaks. Be careful, mine was full of some kinda WHITE powder! :shocked2: OK, it wasn't FULL, but there was a bunch that flew out and some got on my lips and tasted like bug spray. :barf: It probly ain't good for ya...

I'd be carefull blowing down a powder horn, there may be an ember and it could blow your nose off, or it might be loaded, or.....

-----Hey JETHRO you better lick your lips a couple more times to get them real clean if you don't think the white stuff isn't good for you----- :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Heck rubincam, it weren't no worse for me than the battery acid... that'll make ya spit! :haha:

Back in my early days of BP shooting I was warned to not use plastic funnels to fill my horn -- supposedly they build up static electricity as the powder runs through -- with possibly explosive results :shocked2:
Was that an old wives' tale or . . .?

Please read the post at the top of this Subject heading, on Static Electricity. The short answer is that " YES, this is an old wive's tale."

lolasmom said:
I have a related problem that you old-timers can surely help this greenhorn with. After a few years of not shooting, I took out my equipment and found that the stopper to my horn had broken off. My thought was to push the part that is stuck inside through, since there was no way to get purchse to pull it out. It won't go that way either, at least not by shoving it with a nail. I also tried picking it out with an awl. I have a brand new horn that has an unthreaded stopper that doesn't go all the way into the horn, and is loose enough that it looks like it will just fall out if I fill up the horn. I don't have the equipment to make the threads. Is there a way to rough it up enough to stay in?

Try to wrap the threads with a little PLUMBERS Tape or sewing thread! :wink:

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
If I understand you correctly... get yourself a brass machine threaded bolt and matching nut. Cut the head off the bolt. Trim the broken part of the old plug head if it is like a knob. Drill out the center of the old plug, but don't go all the way through. Epoxy the brass bolt into the plug. Then carefully inlet the brass nut into the base of the horn, and epoxy it. When you are done, you can screw the plug on and off the base to fill the horn whenever you need to. Get the appropriate size bolt so the thing isn't bigger than it has to be.
For maybe about 49 cents and a bit of your time, you might be able to fix the horn.
Or go to the craft store and get one of those hardwood balls for hobby stuff. Some already have threaded rods in them. Get a nut that fits and do the same thing. Stain the new ball to match your base plug.

Back