• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

finally a load that works

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It took between 50and 75 renditions of combinations to finally figure what my 45 Don Getz wanted. The moral of the story is don't give up, the rifle will eventually tell you what it wants.
I should have guessed it was going to be a hard go as I had bought the barrel in good used shape. No one most likely lets one of those go with out a reason or frustration.
I had initial luck with the dry lube by Dutch, but it was short lived. I went through all sorts of stuff and different grains of both 2F and 3 F varying between 50 and 70, but the magic combo was 50/50 olive oil and beeswax, 60 grains of 2F with pillow tic and a .433 ball. It is a whole new rifle now and my confidence with it is at a whole new level.
Interestingly it has a different feel to the load it likes. It just shoots and feels more comfortable there. I noticed it on the first shot with the load it wanted.

This is awesome! I love the experimental process of muzzleloaders. You get what you put into it.

It took between 50and 75 renditions of combinations to finally figure what my 45 Don Getz wanted. The moral of the story is don't give up, the rifle will eventually tell you what it wants.
I should have guessed it was going to be a hard go as I had bought the barrel in good used shape. No one most likely lets one of those go with out a reason or frustration.
I had initial luck with the dry lube by Dutch, but it was short lived. I went through all sorts of stuff and different grains of both 2F and 3 F varying between 50 and 70, but the magic combo was 50/50 olive oil and beeswax, 60 grains of 2F with pillow tic and a .433 ball. It is a whole new rifle now and my confidence with it is at a whole new level.
Interestingly it has a different feel to the load it likes. It just shoots and feels more comfortable there. I noticed it on the first shot with the load it wanted.
Great job figuring it out. They all certainly have a mind of their own and a preference for one load over the other.

Latest posts

Back