• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally a Seneca.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
After looking for two years or so and after wanting one when they first came out, I finally bought a TC Seneca. I just never got one back when TC made them. Something always came up and than TC quit making them a long time ago.
I was holding out for a 36 cal but they are very hard to find. I did find one 32 cal in the past two years but it was very expensive being $600 dollars. And a 2 digit serial number, never fired one for a grand ($1000 !) I settled on this little 45 cal but the description presented and my definition of the words used to describe it are very much different.
It was supposed to have the “usual handling marks and nicks”. Right!? None of my guns have that much in the way of 'handling marks'! I don't see how the lock functioned with all the gunk a real testament to TC's design, I guess. There was some thick brown pastie substance in the lock area and barrel channel that I have no idea what it was. You could barely move the ram rod, let alone pull it out.
All of that is fixed now but it is bad outside today and good photos are difficult but here are a couple I just couldn't wait to show. The rifle is a pleasure and it is real nice looking These are small frame guns and a change from the full size rifles normally found.

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

And the now thoroughly disassembled and cleaned lock and trigger group.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Yes I had to re-blue touch up the lock plate. I tried to keep as much case hardening as possible.

I have the Cherokee 32 cal T.C.
Your right about the cost of these rifles. Bought mine for the grandson 11 yrs ago for $100. from a friend.
It is a nice shooting gun and really lite in the weight department.
Yours looks really nice and you did a great job of bringing it back to life. Think you will enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Ebiggs,Peoples descriptions of guns for sale are pretty creative,or as I call it dishonest.Not all people are that way but it seems to be more and more esp. on the auction sites.What I get a kick out of is they will describe a gun in excellent shape[not much room for fudging there right?]then show 10 close-up pics that look like the thing got drug behind a truck and put away wet.But people still have a bidding war over it and they sell it for far more than its worth.It just makes it bad for the rest of us.I know I don't have to bid but I hate when people bid on that misrepresented stuff.Rant done.

My seneca started out as a 45 too. I was able to find a guy who had an extra 36 barrel and I made a trade. Never could get the 45 seneca to shoot as well as the 45 TC Hawken that I have. The 36 is a pretty good shooter.

Good find, you're going to love it. I have had one in 36 Cal for years (good shooter) and recently found a cherokee barrel (45 cal) for it. Great fun! :thumbsup:

Yours looks 'as new'. Good find.
My wife has won buckets of medals in competition with her .45 Seneca.
I have started using it since my shoulder surgery because I cannot any longer hold up my heavy barreled rifles.
However, I find the Seneca, even with a longer Douglas barrel, too light for me to hold steady. I'm not a big person but do believe this is a youth/women's size rifle.

Fahopity,
You are going to find that the Seneca and Cherokee barrels don't just "drop in". They are different lengths, Cherokee is shorter than the seneca. To put the Cherokee barrel onto the Seneca stock you will have to cut the barrel under rib. Otherwise they will fit up.
Mark

I have 3 of them.2-45's and a 36.Great little guns.Here is the 45's groups.Maxis did OK but I stick with RB's.
2750169908_a3307f27c3.jpg

Thanks, I knew that would be the case when I bought the cherokee barrel. I only had to remove a small ammount from under rib and yes it did fit right in after that. I like my 36 but I think that short cherokee barrel looks pretty good in my stock. It shoots all right too. :thumbsup:

found one in .45 that had never been fired. may have a .36 barrel made up for it. sweet little rifle. remember when you could buy them new. silly me all i wanted was .50 and larger.never occurred to me i would ever be 60 and have arthritis. live and learn

I stumbled on my .36 Seneca at a gunshop that was closing down about 15 years ago. Was more interested in a .50 Greyhawk that was selling at a bargain price and picked up the Seneca as an afterthought when the shop owner made me a deal on both guns. I was very new to muzzleloading at the time.

As I recall, there was another new Seneca next to it that had absolutely gorgeous wood...but it didn't fit me. Must've shouldered it a dozen times. Finally gave up on it and then noticed the plainer Seneca next to it. The "plain jane" fit me perfect and I decided to try and deal for it. I then noticed the beauty had a shorter LOP...a youth model.

Got it home and noticed some deterioration in the wood behind one of the barrel key escutcheons. One screw wasn't screwing in to much of anything. Called TC, they offered to exchange it for a System 1 inline...no dice on that. Finally, after a couple of tries I made a good fix using Accraglas. It's totally hidden by the escutcheon.

Life with this beauty was anything but smooth at first. Using the TC recommended 30 gr. loads with an .018 pillow ticking patch, loading was a big fight and I broke the ramrod first time out. A couple of sessions like that and I was ready to wrap it around a tree.

Reason took hold, however, and I backed off to an .010 patch over 20 gr. loads. After that everything was sweetness and light. What a great gun...and away from that flashy youth model, it's no plain jane.

It seems you have to make a few concessions to the sweethearts.

The wood parts and cleaning the metal parts and some touch up reblueing is not too difficult. But a lot of yahoos insist on using a tool steel punch to knock off the dove tail sights. Those dings are not so easy to fix and make look good. Stop using tool steel punches, you know who you are! :wink:

I've had success peening such marks away. That's one of the things I like about BP guns, mild steel is much easier to work with. :grin:

Latest posts

Back