• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally finished after 30 years

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshrcav8r

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this kit in the mid 70's, it just took me this long to finish. I have built a couple of rifles in the mid 70's, a H&A Minuteman and CVA Mountain rifle. This is my first real kit. It is a Green Moutain Forge Astorian. It has a walnut stock, Haddaway lock and TC triggers. I don't know who supplied the barrel for the kit, it is unmarked. If you have any ideas who the supplier might be, I would love know.

The stock has been stained with Jim Klein's reddish brown stain and finished with LMF's Permalyn. The metal was browned using RE Davis' browning solution.

Any comments suggestions and comments would be appreciated.

AstorianFull.jpg

AstorianLockSide.jpg

AstorianCheekSide.jpg

AstorianLock1.jpg

AstorianLock.jpg

AstorianMuzzle.jpg

Nice job! I haven't seen a Doc Haddaway lock in many moons. Sorry, can't help with the barrel maker. Emery

And here I thought I was the only long time procrastinator! About 1980 I bought a Trade Gun pistol kit from Curly Gostomsky to go with my left hand Curly 20 ga trade gun. My wife at the time said "why are you getting that, you'll never finish it". We later divorced and have both remarried. A couple of years ago I was poking around in the basement and came across the box. I said "by gosh I'm gonna just show her" and finished up the kit, 24 years later! But....I did it!

Thanks for all your kind remarks. This one is prep for a Chamber's Mark Silver Virginia rifle that is going to be next. This one was to try and get grip on the basics of wood and metal finish. The list of things that I did wrong was a lot longer than the list of things that I did right, but I got alot of experience. Drilling and tapping the holes to attach the underrib, filing the flats on the thimber and underrib and sweating them together. I hope to have the next one done sometime next year...need to work on carving.

Thanks again, Tim

Latest posts

Back