• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally got to shhot the Walker 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The South Bay Rod and Gun range reopened this week in the Delzura area after the bad fire storms we had and I finally got to shot several cylinders of balls. I was surprised the recoil was not too bad and the smoke and noise was about what the folks at the gun shop in Lancaster CA told me it would be. It was a blast to say the least and even this morning my wife says I still smell like sulfur! Can't wait to do it again!!! :thumbsup:

oldracer, first welcome to the Forum! Also welcome to this great hobby of ours. I find it very interesting that you chose the Walker as a first attempt at BP pistols. I shoot a Walker in competition. My load for it is 50 grains of 3Fg Goex real BP, a ox-yoke pre-lubed wonder-wad and a Hornady .454 round ball. Very accurate, sometimes even beat the single-shot pistols with micrometer adjustable rear sights. Would like to know a little more about your background and experiences in firearms and why you chose the bigest, heaviest, most powerfull cap & ball revolver ever made?

Chat with you soon,

Dave

Thanks Dave, I chose the pistol as it seems to be the best made of the ones that were in the shop I visited in Lancaster CA and several of the folks in it owned a Walker. They said the same thing you noted, it was very accurate and great to shoot. We started shooting a few months ago after an absence of nearly 35 years and actually started with the idea of home defense. My wife wanted to try several pistols after shooting our 20GA pump so one thing led to another and she now has a Detective Special, my daughter has a S&W Hog Hunter and I have a Sig 226 with multiple barrels. As I noted, the Walker is really fun to shoot as long as I don't feel the urge to have to hurry and the Uberti pistols seemed very well made. The only thing I noticed is that the tip of the hammer seemed to get in the way to get accurate sighting so I had to "guestimate" to the 50 YD target and I actually hit the black several times so I was happy.

oldracer,

The Walker was sighted-in for 50-75 yards, probably closer to the 75 yard mark! Obtaining the same identical sight picture with the same amount of front sight/back sight alignment each time will narrow your groups down some. My Walker is exactly 6.5 inches high at 25 yards, so I merely aim the revolver 6.5 inches lower than the "X" Ring and I'm hitting in the 90's!

I would recommend shooting the big wheelgun with BOTH HANDS, at least until you get "the feel" for how much front sight to use!

The Walker I have is a great shooter, and is dead-on side to side. On several occaisions I've hit the 135 yard gong (man-sized torso) at one of the BP clubs that my Son & I belong to. I'm currently using it for the NRA Black Powder Pistol Qualification Matches another one of the local clubs that I belong to is running. So far at 50 yards, I've scored 38 points more than the single-shot guys, but not all of them have competed yet.

Here's hoping you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine!

Have a good Turkey Day!

Dave

Dave, thanks for the sight in info. I do shoot with both hands since I do not have big hands and that helps a lot. I was going to post a couple of picts but it is a tad convoluted to post them here so I haven't. Here is a link to one I posted on the Diesel Truck site I belong to.[url] http://www.superdutydiesel.co...ally-shot-my-walker-44-black-powder.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the linked site and couldn't access the jpg without "signing in", so I didn't see it. If it's a photo of the pistol or someone using the pistol, go ahead post it here so that we can all see it.

Dave

Opps, forgot that the picts are a "members" thing. You should be able to see these as the Pelican site is open.[url] http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?p=3597854#post3597854[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on you hand cannon. Yours must be a good one with tight tolerances since the loading lever is not down after firing. Who made the pistol Uberti or ASM?
Long Johns Wolf

Neat pics.

Now you need to shoot it in the dark - as dark as possible but just light enough to see that it's safe downrange.

You always did have a keen sense for the extaordinary :bow:

He'll get to see why it's soooo important to keep his nipples covered with caps too! :shocked2:

Nothing quite like the FLASH of the Walker at dusk! :haha: :) :thumbsup:

Dave

Great PIX! The blast is pure fun! Every couple of cylinder's worth, I run a damp patch soaked in Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. I turn the wheelgun muzzle down so that the crud doesn't clogg-up the nipples, then I run a dry patch through the chambers too. Cap-off to finish clearing the nipples and you're GOOD-TO-GO once more! :wink: Have a blast and let us know how you're doing.

Have a good Turkey Day!

Dave

You just gave me a great idea.

I've been trying to come up with unusual events for our sportsman's club that are tied to black powder; we've opened a new range this year and I'm going to take the opportunity to get more people involved in black powder events.

Anyway, how's this sound: a dusk bp revolver shoot, culminating with everyone firing salvo (all 5 or 6 chambers one after the other) at the same time? If that won't get black powder interest up, nothing will.

Make sure that you have someone real good with a video camera shoot the event so that you can replay it at the next club meeting!

You could shoot at dusk-OR-start the shoot just before dawn and do the "in-the-dark" BLAST, followed-up by a regular daylight event! Some clubs have Range Rules that prohibit firing after dusk or just before dusk. But I haven't seen ANY that prohibit firing before full daylight, unless a specific time is in the club's rules.

Too bad that my Son & I live in NJ, I'd sure like to attend a shoot run by you! :bow:

Have a good Turkey Day!

Dave

Back