• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finally, its here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GP1951

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Opening day here tomorrow. Hunting for first time in years in the LBJ Grasslands. I let my East Texas lease go this year. So I will be trying to hunt among a bunch of inliners and shotgunners on public land. Daunting! Not only that, but the TPWD had decreed that does/anterless can only be taken without permit on these lands during Thanksgiving holiday and weekend. Plus antlers must be 13" on inside measurement to be legal, except for spikes. So I'm not looking at a high percentage hunt. But...............I'm a going.

Your going sure beats my not going. Eyeball problems are a real bite in the @$$. And last fall I had an elbow re-built, which ruined that season. Aging isn't for sissies.
Enjoy your hunt as best the ya-hoos allow.

What!!? Are you supposed to carry a tape measure? What if you kill one with 12 1/2 inches?
They did the same thing in CO, and I don't even hunt in areas that require that.
But I'm wishing you a great hunt! :thumbsup:

Mike Brines said:
What!!? Are you supposed to carry a tape measure? What if you kill one with 12 1/2 inches?
They did the same thing in CO, and I don't even hunt in areas that require that.
But I'm wishing you a great hunt! :thumbsup:

That's why I can't wait to get my hunting shifted to CO next year after the cabin is built. I was planning not to hunt this year after I dropped out of the East Texas deer lease, but changed my mind.

Basically, on a Texas whitetail, you can "assume" that if the inside of the rack is wider than the ears, you MAY have a legal deer. But if you "assume" wrong you have a problem.

I went for opening day and only saw one doe that I spooked before dawn when I was walking in.

Back