• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished GPR pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgary

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finished up the kit, first ever attempt. Has a few character flawsbut I figure if I go somewhere and they throw all the GPR's in a pile I can pick it out real easy :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Going to redo some browning in the summer when
the humidity is higher. Constructive critisim is expected.....
100_0461.jpg
100_0460.jpg
100_0459.jpg
100_0458.jpg
100_0457.jpg

It looks great to me! :applause: I like the brown hardware on the lighter stock. I own a factory model in flint and the wood is very dark. I wonder if I can lighten up the stock :hmm: I have seen some really nice walnut on those GPR's.

it's very nice..Browning looks good too,
have you had a chance to shoot her yet??

Looks great! I am going to be starting my first GPR kit this week. A couple of questons:

- What did you use to brown? I'm going to use Laurel Mountain Forge.

- When you browned, did you install the rib, tang and sights, or brown those separately?

- What kind of finish did you use and did you stain at all?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Not to hi-jack the thread, Elk Chaser, but the first rifle I built I browned all parts in place. Took it to the range, time to move the front sight, it did not budge. As bad as a window painted shut...

Regards,

Ivery

Hmmm, what's to critique ? It blows the factory finished ones out of the water. Almost makes me wish I'd gone with the kit, but I avoided a lot of "spousal discord" by getting the uglier, MIB version.

PS - The GPR looks even better once you start shooting it !

Elk-chaser
Used Laural mtn. to brown, all parts were done seperatly. Did about 8 applications 3 hrs apart.
Stock is natural no stain just sealer and finish
both LMF. Dont know what type wood the stock is,
but it was verrrry hard and took a lot to seal the pores.Took my good ole time probally close to 60 -70 hrs in all. Thanks for the feed back guys.

CANT WAIT TO SHOOT IT :winking:

Must have caught some kind of bug, already im thinking about bulding something a lot more complicated. :hmm: :hmm: Is there any known cure??????////

I would brown the screw heads and turn the rear sight around the right way. That stock is absolutley beautiful and the browning job looks great to me. It makes mine look like manure. :thumbsup:

OK you asked for it. More exposure and wider angle lens. Also try three flashes. One on the camera, and one on each side of the gun. :blah:

Other than that the rifle is A-1 Buddy!!!

Captgary, you did a great job. You were FAST too! Took me 8 months, but that was working on it only on the occasional free evening...

I like the brown stock, no reds in it. And you did a great job on the browning.

Now get out and shoot it so it will acquire a few "trail trophies." You know... "I got that little scratch pulling it up into a treestand, that little nick when I slipped on the ice..."

Again, great job. Something to be proud of!

-Shooey :thumbsup:

Great work! I do agree that your stock is about the lightest GPR stock I've ever seen. It looks great with your hardware.

:hatsoff:

Back