• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finishing Cherry Wood Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have worked mainly with walnut and used Tru-oil to my satisfaction for the finish. I like to let the wood be itself and I've had some great looking stocks with beautiful grain.

I am building a cherry wood stock now for the first time and I'm surprised at how light the color is of the wood. I think it will be a nice looking stock but I was expecting a darker, deeper color. I have read some discusions that hint the cherry wood will darken with time and I'm not interested in an artificial stain to color it.

My question is, what do you guys do to finish a cherry wood stock and do you get a deep, rich color from the get go or do you hang the piece on the wall for a decade and wait for the wood to mellow naturally.

Thanks

A lot of people just finish it or use a lye treatment before finishing it.

I really like the antique carmelly, if thats a word lol, look of an old stock. Click on my signature pic and you'll see my cherry stocked New England style rifle. :thumbsup:

Rich , what stain if any got used on that one ? Has a nice aged look to it !

Not sure Frank, havta ask Roy but I seem to remember Walnut was used along with somthing else maybe.
Oh he treated it with Lye too.

Ive used mineral oil seems to darken the wood without pigments.

I've done alot of cherry knife handles with aqua fortis and sanded them back with 320 grit sandpaper after I heated it. It depends on the color of the cherry, but I've had good results. On the other hand, I have a full stocked .45 semi custom that doesn't have anything on it, except tru oil and it's a really nice red color...Bud

Mine was done with Lye and a coat of Walnut stain. Basically I did not want the red that Cherry can be. Instead I wanted it to look closer to what Welcome Mathewson's rifle does today and Roy just about achieved that. :thumbsup:
http://nimrodsplace.com/nerifle18.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres better people here than me that can answer that. As I understand it, it makes the figure really stand out, what exactly it does I don't know.

In the Brownell's book GUNSMITH KINKS one tip given is using an amonia fumer to darken the color of the wood after whiskering the stock with tea . I did a piece of scrap off of my next rifle build and I like the results.................watch yer top knot................

heres a picture of a dark stained cherry stock.

1 lye treatment, 1 coat LMF walnut.

fowler001.jpg
[/img]

here's another shot.

fowler004.jpg
[/img]

snowdragon said:
Swampy, do you know what the lye does? Bill
I'm not Bill but I'll take a crack at answering your question about lye.

Lye water applied to the surface of the stock after whiskering brings out the tannin in the wood and floats it to the surface.

This tannin is brown so when it drys on the surface it darkens the appearance.

That said, lye water is extremely caustic and the slightest drop of it on your skin will start dissolving you. A drop in your eye will start destroying your eyeball so be careful with this stuff if you choose to use it.
It's also a good idea to have a mild acid nearby to neutralize any lye that gets on you.
Vinegar or lemon juice works well.

To use lye water the stock must be fully 'whiskered'. Whiskering two or three times is a good idea.

When the stock is ready, slowly mix 1 teaspoon of dry lye into a cup of water. Never add the water to dry lye. After the lye has dissolved sit it aside.

Get a narrow NYLON paint brush and dip it into the lye water. Apply the lye water, fully wetting the surface of the stock. Then, sit it aside to dry.

If you use a paint brush with natural hair bristles they will instantly shrivel and fall off of the handle. The same can be said for any hair on your arm. Well, it won't fall of the handle but it will fall off of your arm.
At the time, you won't notice it because the intense burning you will be feeling will divert your attention to getting some vinegar on the lye. :grin:

At first it will look just like wet wood but as its drying you will notice the color of the wood will start getting browner.
Of course, when it is totally dry it will lighten some but when you a apply the finishing oils it will darken back to the color you will end up with.

After the lye water has dried, use your brush to coat the entire surface of the stock with one medium wet coat of vinegar to neutralize the lye.
Let it dry.
The stock is now ready for the finishing oils.

Several thoughts about lye water:

It does not attack metal so if you have inlays or patchboxes installed you do not have to remove them before coating.

There is only 'so much' tannin in the wood so multiple coats of lye water will not add anything to the color of the wood.

It will turn Walnut BLACK so, unless you are wanting a totally black "aged" stock don't use it on Walnut.

The dark color brought out by lye water is a surface coating only. Do not rub or sand it.

Lye water will dissolve any oils that it comes in contact with including all of the oils that your hand has left on the stock. If one is planning on staining a light wood after treating it with lye water, the removal of these oils will improve the effects of the stain.

Because "curly wood" is curly because little bands of 'end grain' are exposed in the stripes and because the lye can penetrate the end grain better than it can between the 'stripes' it tends to increase and improve the 'contrast' between the stripes and the wood between the stripes.

The effects on plain Maple are not very noticable unless the wood has some 'curl'.
Cherry will turn much browner than untreated wood looking like 'old' cherry.
I've already mentioned its effect on Walnut but similar comments could be made for any dark wood.

If lye water has been used on the wood and the color has been removed by handling or sanding you will have to sand the stock down and start again to get to some 'new wood' that hasn't been exposed to the previous treatment. Of course, if the wood has been resanded it will also have to be re-whiskered before applying the next try at using lye water.

Hope this helps. :)

PS: Dry lye is often found in hardware stores Plumbing Department. It is a commonly used drain cleaner. Some folks have tried using other things that supposedly contain lye but I don't recommend them because they often have other things in them that may interfere with future stains or finishing oils.

Places on the net will also sell real lye to individuals.

I can vouche for what zonie says about the lye burn ! It will also rot any leather it comes in contact with ! Safety glasses , rubber gloves, boots and an apron preferably rubber but a 30 gallon trash bag will work in a pinch :thumbsup:
Places that sell soap making supplies has lye for homemade lye soap .
Used to be able to get it at grocery store but cant get it there any longer because of meth heads snortin it up there beezer :cursing:

Same reason for lye and black powder being redilly available, some people are too dumb to have common sense AKA- Natural selection

I need to correct something I said.

Lye will not attack brass, bronze, German Silver and its effect on steel is very slight.

It will attack aluminum though so do not mix the solution in an aluminum pan. Use a glass bowl or cup to mix it in.

If you ignore my warning about mixing it in an aluminum pan you will see hundreds of little bubbles forming while the aluminum starts to dissolve. These bubbles are hydrogen and it goes without saying, they are explosive if a fire is in the area.

Thanks guys. I might try it sometime, though I feel like I should be wearing an NBC suit while doing it. Scary stuff, but like shooting and pouring lead, I suppose you just need to stay on your toes. Bill.

It won't wear off if the finishing oils have been applied and have dried unless they have been worn off from years of handling.

Back